This week, the Flash tool we are going to share is FlashDevelop—a free and open source code editor for every Flash devs. It is one of the most frequently used tools for Flash development.
According to the research of Flash game market 2011, after AS3, FlashDevelop is the most popular tools preferred by 52.3% of all developers. It is a fast and easy to use tool for Flash users.
FlashDevelop is an open source product contributed by so many Flash developers in its community. As a popular script editor, it offers support for ActionScript (2&3), but other languages like Haxe can also be implemented. It is capable of code generation, project compilation & debugging, plenty of project templates, SWF/SWC exploration and etc. FlashDevelop is also a great web developer IDE with source-control support (svn, git, and mercurial), tasks/to-do, snippets, XML/HTML completion and zen-coding for HTML.
AS2, AS3 and haXe languages support
- FlashDevelop has built-in support for many workflows. Adobe Flash Professional, Flex SDK, Mtasc/haXe+Swfmill are seamlessly integrated.
- Many project templates are included and you can easily customize or create new templates.
Smart code completion
- FlashDevelop’s code completion works with all your classes. Press Tab to expand usual code snippets (function, get/set, for, while, if…).
- FlashDevelop completes the events that the object actually dispatches (as declared in the class metadatas). And the appropriate Event class will automatically be imported.
- FlashDevelop offers various kinds of generation such as generate fields from function parameters, import declaration generation, method override generation and etc. Press Ctrl+Shift+1 to request contextual generation.
Click “+” button to see the content of any SWF or SWC (learn more about Flash terms and definitions):
- graphic symbols
- fonts (and glyphs count)
As an open source script editor designed mostly for ActionScript 2/3 development, FlashDevelop is very quick to setup and easy to use as an external editor for the Flash IDE or as a complete open source development environment. It is a useful and must have tool for Flash development.