SourceTec Software

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:04 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:27 pm 
Poster

NEW YORK -- Andy Pettitte has never thought of himself as a Hall of Fame pitcher. Nike Free 3.0 V2 Laufschuhe Weiß Schwarz . Now that hes announced his plans to retire after this season, an interesting debate will begin. The New York Yankees left-hander is 255-152 with a 3.86 ERA in 18 major league seasons. That makes him one of 26 pitchers -- the only one still active -- with a record at least 100 games over .500. Eighteen of those pitchers are in the Hall of Fame, and five who arent have not been retired long enough to appear on the ballot. According to STATS, the only exceptions are Bob Caruthers, who went 217-98 from 1884-1893, and Roger Clemens, a 354-game winner tainted by steroids allegations. Pettitte admitted using human growth hormone years ago, saying he tried the banned substance in an effort to recover faster from an injury. "I dont think about the Hall of Fame unless someone asks me," he said Friday, adding hes grateful just to be mentioned in that conversation with other stars such as Yankees teammates Mariano Rivera and Derek Jeter. "Ive had the success that Ive had because of so many great players that have been around me." Players must wait five years after their final game before they are eligible to appear on the Hall of Fame ballot sent to voters who are 10-year members of the Baseball Writers Association of America. "Do I feel like Ive dominated this sport as a pitcher? No," Pettitte said, smiling. "Every outing for me, I feel like has been an absolute grind, to tell you the truth. I mean, when I look at lineups and teams that Im facing, it seems like every hitter is hitting .300 off of me. So for people to bring that up and for me to know that theres even a chance at that, its just an honour and its a blessing to me. And Im not worried about that." Pettitte holds major league records for post-season wins (19) and starts (44). A three-time All-Star, he has helped New York to seven AL pennants and five World Series championships during 15 seasons in pinstripes. He was the MVP of the 2001 AL championship series and is the franchise leader in career strikeouts with 2,009. Those numbers probably are the best argument for Pettittes induction. His career ERA is higher than that of any pitcher in the Hall of Fame. "Thats nothing Ive ever even considered. If that was something that I really desired, I would have never retired," Pettitte said. "I would just continue to pitch, if thats what it was all about." Pettitte is 19-11 with a 3.81 ERA in the post-season, giving him more post-season wins than eight major league teams. He also ranks first in post-season innings (276 2-3) and is second in strikeouts (183). In 2009 with the Yankees, he became the first pitcher to start and win the clinching game of all three series in one post-season. "Andys a professional. He expects a lot out of himself. He beats himself up a lot. We laugh at him because hes always by himself, talking to himself," Jeter said. "Its fun watching him beat himself up, because he expects to be perfect. Nobodys perfect, but he has those expectations and thats the reason why hes had so much success." Nike Free 3.0 V3 Laufschuhe Blau Dunkel Blau Weiß . Thomas Edgar scored a team-high 15 points as Australia wrapped up second place in the eight-nation tournament with a 5-2 record and 15 points."I want to congratulate my team," Australia coach John Uriarte said. Nike Free Run+ 3 Laufschuhe Blau Weiß . Drabek opened the season with two straight wins followed by a no-decision, but has lost three straight outings since. The first two setbacks of that career high-tying losing streak were quality starts, but the righty endured a tough outing on Saturday at the Angels.MONTREAL -- There were other strong candidates, but the expansion Montreal Impact felt the versatile Andrew Wenger was their man at the Major League Soccer SuperDraft. The six-foot 185-pound Wenger, who can play defence, midfield and up front, was selected first overall at the draft in Kansas City on Thursday, adding another piece to the Impact lineup heading into their first MLS season. Goal-scorer Darren Mattocks of the University of Akron went second overall to the Vancouver Whitecaps. "We just felt he has the total package," Impact sporting director Nick de Santis said of Wenger. "Mattocks and couple of other players were there and it was tough to choose, but we felt good about the decision. In athleticism, hes a notch above everyone." Canadian teams were front and centre at the draft, as Toronto FC used the fourth overall pick to take UC Santa Barbara midfielder Luis Silva and then got Notre Dame defender Aaron Maund 12th overall. Wenger won the Hermann Trophy as the top player in U.S. university soccer last season. The 21-year-old anchored Dukes back line in his first two seasons. He was converted to forward in his third season, scoring 17 goals and adding eight assists to lead the Blue Devils to an 11-8-3 record. Wenger said he is most comfortable in the midfield but is ready to play any position for Montreal. "It was a surprise. Going No. 1 was quite an honour," he said. "It was more important for me to be picked into a fantastic organization that would help me grow as a player and give me all the opportunities and resources necessary to succeed, and I think Montreal will do a fantastic job." Montreal was expected to take Mattocks because they are thin up front, but coach Jesse Marsch and his staff felt they couldnt pass up Wenger. "I think Andrew Wenger has the potential to become a great midfielder, defender and forward," said Marsch. "He was the best soccer player available. "We followed him very closely, and we just felt he had the best future, short term and long term, in the draft." Wenger may miss stretches of his rookie season on U.S. national teams duty and there are reports he may stay on at Duke until May to complete his semester. "We truly believe in him finishing his school as well," said De Santis. "Were not going to pressure him to come in the first minute and perform." He will miss the start of camp on Sunday because he is attending the U.S. under-23 team camp in California, where one of his teammatees is Impact defender Zarek Valentin. Nike Free Schweiz. Wenger, of Lititz, Pa., has known Valentin since they were children. "We played together from 11 until we went to college," Wenger said. "Hes currently my roommate at the U.S. under-23 national team camp, so weve been talking about Montreal and different scenarios over the last week or so. "Hes already been in the league for a year, so hes going to be able to show me what it is to be a professional and show me the ropes. Its a great advantage for me." The Whitecaps were delighted to land Mattocks, who had 39 goals in 47 matches in the last two seasons at Akron. "He brings different qualities to the front line," said Whitecaps coach Martin Rennie, who already has skill up front in Camilo Sanvezzo and Eric Hassli. "Hes more of a striker who gets behind the defence. He stretches the defence. And hes got finish. "Hes a prolific goal-scorer and thats hard to find." It was the second straight year Vancouver took a striker in the draft. As an expansion club last year, the Whitecaps picked Omar Salgado first overall. Rennie said the two may make a strong pair up front in future. Mattocks felt no disappointment at going second to Wenger. "Wherever I go, whether it was first or 10th, I just want to stay humble and do my best," said Mattocks, who had 21 goals in 22 games last season. Silva scored 17 goals in 22 games at Santa Barbara and is seen by TFC as a midfield playmaker. "Im a team player, I work hard both sides of the ball," said Mexican-born Silva. "I just know (TFC) is an attacking team with the 4-4-3 formation, which Im used to playing. "Ive played every formation. Its a matter of going to training and seeing how the coach wants to use me." TFC coach Aron Winter sees Silva as a potential midfield general who can also be used on the wing, while Maund brings size and quickness to the defence. "The reason we drafted them is because theyre good kids, with good technical qualities," said Winter. In the second round, Montreal took midfielder Calum Mallace of Marquette 20th overall and Vancouver picked defender Chris Estridge of Indiana 21st. Toronto FC did not have a second-round selection. The New England Revolution took UCLA midfielder Kelyn Rowe with the third pick. Chivas USA took Maryland forward Casey Townsend fifth and the San Jose Earthquakes took Silvas Santa Barbara teammate Sam Garza sixth. A total of 38 players were selected in two rounds. ' ' '