SourceTec Software

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:59 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:08 am 

When I try to close dowm Windows XP after having run Encoder trial version I get a warning message from Windows: 'Data Execution Prevention'. I have NEVER seen this before and I am absolutey certain it is caused by Encoder Trial. I don't understand the technical implcations of this but I have read that this is a warning sign of malware.

Please advise.

- Clark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:50 am 
Support Team
Support Team

Hello Clark,

Thanks for the information provided!

Could you please give us a screenshot of the error message including the detailed steps how did you get it for us to have a check?

Have you tried to reinstall the program on your computer and check whether it sovles your problem?

Thanks a lot.

Post subject: Microsoft reference
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:04 pm 

I don't have a screen shot but here is the Microsoft reference for that error:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875351

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but nothing changed. Still got the error when closing the PC. Finally I had to uninstall Sothink completely and I no longer got the error.

Then I noticed something else wrong: my optical drive was no longer being recognized by my computer. I could not read or play any CDs or DVDs. I have a new Sony VIAO laptop with XP Media Center, only a few months old. Everything was working fine until a month ago when I installed Sothink Encoder. To make a long story short, I had to get on the phone with Sony for 3 hours to figure out what to do about my dysfunctional drive. After all else failed they finally they had me do a 'rollback' of my system settings to December 13th, which was before I downloaded Sothink. That worked and I can now use my optical drive. I discussed the probable causes of this drive loss and they said that it could very likely be caused by installing a video encoder that conflicted with my CD drivers.

This is not proof that Sothink damaged by CD drivers, but since I was also getting the 'Data Execution Prevention' error I think it is something Sothink should look into.

In the end I decided to uninstall Sothink completely. I can't take the risk of messing up my computer. I don't use it anymore and my computer is working fine. This is sad for me, not so much for the money I spent, but because I really like your beautiful borderless skins with mins/seconds display. I can't find any other program that offers these. Plus your program is so simple to quickly generate the FLV, SWF, and HTML, for those of us who do not need a million parameters to deal with.

Unfortunately, your application seems to be incompatible with my computer.

- Clark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:10 am 
Support Team
Support Team

Hello Clark,

Thanks for informing this problem to us.

Sorry, we have checked problem you reported, but we are unable to reproduce it. Could you please tell us whether you got the same problem with Sothink Video Encoder for Adobe Flash on the other computer before? If you could provide more relevant information to help us checking the problem, we will be very appreciated!

Thanks a lot for your understanding and happy Valentine' day in advance :D !