SourceTec Software

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:49 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:46 am 

Using the latest version of the JS Scroller, the scroller is visible and working nicely on Frontpage local machine in the preview window. Files are duplicated on the provider's server, but the scroller does not show up in Firefox or I.E. over the web after the page is uploaded. I have a feeling this has to do with the code placement on the page, but am not sure.

Post subject: Additional Info
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:12 am 

Perhaps this is a clue?

A degugger gives me this error:

sts_bs is not defined

THIS IS THE LINE

sts_tbd([0],["solid",0,"#999999"]);

I cannot determine the meaning of the above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:19 am 
Guru

think about it, theres nothing we can do without seeing it, give us a url if ya want any help.

Post subject: You Bet!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:14 am 

Here it is:

http://www.artsantafe.com/

Post subject: Some of us really try
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:40 am 

I would like to add _ I HAVE RTFM,d! I have been using computers since the VIC 20, when there was NO software. I have designed and managed relatively simple web sites for many years. I have tutored and solved tech problems professionally. But, NO...I am NOT a programmer. I have Yank & Adam's Simply Javascript on my desk as I speak. And I have thoroughly read your help files and instructions. Today I actually located your definitions for bs, tbd, sbd, etc. However, no matter how much effort I expend, I have had to accept that I will probably never call myself a programmer. I believe you either have a mind for it or you don't. However, that does not stop me from attempting to advance my knowledge and skills . I see programs like the Web Scroller as tools that might enable an amateur like myself to implement a few simple bells-and-whistles without being a full-blown programmer. We are not all lazy fools who expect something for nothing. I spent the entire day researching and trying to solve this issue. I know it must be frustrating to deal with the many who expect something for nothing, but some of us really do expend the time and effort, even if we will never measure up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:30 pm 
Guru

you have '/js/stscode.js' defined twice and doesnt exist on the server http://www.artsantafe.com/js/stscode.js

remove one declaration and put the .js file on the server.
that javascript error is resulting because the page doesnt have the source file required for the menu to work because as stated above the files doesnt exist on the server.

Post subject: Thanks for your response
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:39 pm 

Thank you for your help on this. One thing I do not understand. Before publishing, I define the directories, as required, for the js files (js, in my case), which contain the scroller.js, stscode.js, and stseff.js files - and for the image files (JSimages, in my case), where I place my image files. Publishing then seems to generate a seperate JWscroller directory, which ALSO contains copies of the image files, and outside of this folder, a seperate "Pagelet Server.JWscroller.sjc" file. You say the stscode.js file does not exist, but I can see it in the js directory, and there appears to be only a single copy. When you say the source file does not exist, I assume you mean the "Pagelet Server.JWscroller.sjc" file. But this also exists, as a stand-alone file. It seems to me that the necessary files exist, but are perhaps not in the required locations? What is the proper directory structure/location for these files? It appears I must manually rearrange them after the publishing function runs in FrontPage. I have also made sure the script path is set to the artsantafe.com domain. I assume my placement of the code within the page may possibly be causing a problem, but on my local machine it seems to generate the scroller in the desired location. I also continue to have an issue with the publishing function itself, with V2 of JWscroller. The page which presents the code for cutting and pasting still does not allow the underlying FrontPage windows below to be accessed for pasting the generated code. I must resort to pasting the two lines of code into Notepad and then, from there, into my page. I had the same issue in the previous version. The FrontPage widget bar is also still funky. It opens JWscroller a few times from within FrontPage, then stops functioning, and I must run the "Pagelet Server.JWscroller.sjc" file manually from within FrontPage to access the scroller applet. I have removed all scroller files from the server and will attempt to start from scratch again, but it would be helpful to know the required directory structure so that I can rearrange the files if necessary. A graphic layout of the necessary file structue would be a useful addition to the Help Files.

Post subject: Success! And a discovery
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:36 am 

Finally, after many hours of experimentation, I got the sight-in-question up and running with the scroller. What I eventually discovered was that the scroller would not run successfully unless I allowed the three .js files to be placed in the site's root folder. They will not work from a sub-folder. I had set up sub-folders, one for the js files and one for the image files. Pointing the applet to the image folder worked, but pointing to the sub-folder with the js files never did. I also accidently discovered that the SoThink toolbar IS working in FrontPage, but one of the page files must be open FIRST. Otherwise, it appears to be non-functional. I hadn't caught this earlier. Another operation in the program was giving me fits. When publishing, after going through the required publishing steps and then attempting to close out my self-created template, the Save Dialog would come up. For a long time I thought that selecting "Save" would, in fact, save my template with any new changes and close it out of FrontPage. It seems however, that the "Save" dialog actually creates the .sjc file and an associated folder with the images used in the scroller instead. Without taking this "Save" step after publishing, the necessary files are NOT created. If I am correct, I think it would be helpful to discuss these issues in the Help files.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:39 am 
Support Team
Support Team

Hi,

Please check "Save *.sjc file without coping resource files" in Tools>Options>General.
Thus, when you publish a scroller to a page in Frontpage, there will be no folder created automatically to store your resource files, but only in those folders you defined. However, a *.sjc file is created automatically and be stored in the same folder as your page. The *.sjc file is to make sure you can edit your scroller next time. So, you cannot remove it or move it to other places.

For the problem that the resource files must be in the site root folder, our program does not have such limitation, you can store them any where in your site.

Yes, you should have one page open first, our frontpage widget will work.