SourceTec Software

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:30 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:25 am 

Greetings SWF Easy forum participants.
I am instructional Multimedia Developer working in the field of academia.

I have recently begun experimenting with SWF Easy to see whether it could potentially be a tool that educators can feasibly use to develop dynamic instructional content for e-learning courses, instead of Adobe Flash, Swish, Dreamweaver, etc. Sofar, I've been extremely pleased with tool's overall interface design and ease of use and I find it definitely has promise.

However, I have a number of questions which need to be answered before I can recommend it for broad use within our academic institution. Any questions that I cannot find or figure out the answer to I will post here in the hopes that forum moderators and members might be able to answer them. So let me say "thank you" in advance for any that take the time to do so.

Here is my first question....

I have been developing some basic tutorial-style templates for e-Learning courses and I would like to know if it is possible to save them in a way wherein they could be acessed either from within the "New From Template" wizard or from the "Resources" panel? This would make it much easier for the university faculty to take advantage of them without the need for special training from instructional technology support staff.

When I've looked inside the Program Files folder on the C drive where SWF Easy is installed (SourceTec/SWF Easy), I see that the existing templates appear to be in formats with prefixes such as .gls and glm. However, I do not see any option to save any authored objects in formats such as these. Is it possible to do so in any other way?

Thanks!!

Chris

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:04 pm 
Guru

What are *.GLS, *.GLB, *.GLM formats?
*. GLS: SWF Easy Shape file. ((any flash shape symbol made with any flash program such Quicker , adobe flash and swish and etc...))
*. GLB: SWF Easy Button file. (any flash button symbol made with any flash program such Quicker , adobe flash and swish and etc...)
*. GLM: SWF Easy Movie Clip file. (any flash Movie symbol made with any flash program such Quicker , adobe flash and swish and etc...)

If you are expert in coding (Action script 2) you can do a lot with Sothink SWF Easy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:45 am 

Hi Ghol,

Thank you very much for your reply.

That is very useful information regarding the SWF Easy file extensions.

However, I'm afraid that I am definitely NOT an expert at coding Actionscript. Indeed, this is the very reason why I am so interested in using SWF Easy. A great strength of SWF Easy seems to be that it makes it feasible for users to create SWF files that include navigation and interactivity, yet without requiring the author to know Actionscript... at least to a point. However, I am finding now that at certain points in my content development within SWF Easy, I am encountering some significant limitations, such as my desire to save what I have created as a template for others to use. If I must create a template within SWF Quicker or Flash or SwishMax in order to use it within SWF Easy, doesn't it rather defeats the purpose of using SWF Easy in the first place.

But my apologies if this sounds negative...I do not mean to be... its just that I'm hoping that I can learn some simple work-arounds for such limitations, because I there is enormous need within the educational community for a SWF authoring/editing tool with high degree of ease-of-use. I am hopeful that SWF Easy could be this tool.

I realize, of course, that your company promotes SWF Easy as a "banner maker", but clearly, this is simply one of many possible uses for this tool. Which is why I am hopeful that it can do the things that educators need for this type of dynamic content. E-Learning is an enormous market that has a very limited number of affordable authoring tools to choose from, particularly in the realm of Flash/SWF content.

If you would be willing, I would like to send you a SWF file that I am working on in order to show you an example of the type of e-learning content that I am developing which I would like to save as a template, in order to get your opinion of how to approach this issue. However, I notice that my level of access to the SoThink/SourceTec community forums does not allow me to send messages to users, or to add attachments to posts. Can you suggest another way?
Thanks!!!

Chris

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:10 am 
Guru

Hi Chris,

For your information I am just a user like you and I am not sothink staff.

If you want me or any user here to have a look at your file, please upload your file to any of file sharing website such as http://rapidshare.com/ or http://uploading.com/ and post the download link here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:47 pm 

Dijenga...

[quote="dijenga"]You could "upload" the file (that option is available) along with the message here in this forum.

As far as a "template" . . . just "save" the file instead of "exporting" it. Then it can be opened with SWF Easy and edited by another.
If you save it, and make it "write protected", then you can allow others access, while they would be unable to overwrite the original file.
If you are looking for a "free" alternative, and are not afraid to use Linux, you can download the 2 DVD Linux Distribution called "ArtistX" and use its programs. It has flash programs included and only costs the time to download and burn onto 2 DVD's. It can even be run from the DVD's as a "LIVE" version --- meaning it can be booted from and operated from the DVD. You can download it from http://www.distrowatch.com and search for "Artistx".Be warned, however, that it is not as simple as either Quicker or SWF Easy.[/quote]

--- Thanks for the reat information... yes, you're quite right that I could just save it as a .gla file so that others could edit it. And that may indeed be the approach I take. I was just thinking how nice it woud be to be able to save as a template that could be accessible from within the wizards. But it sounds like I'd have to use another tool to do it that way.

Certainly not afraid to use Linux... actually would like to get some experience using it... its just that my work keeps me extremely pressed for time and I have to prioritize my time just to get anything done. Unfortunately, learnign a new OS is not a priority, so until a linux based project comes along, I'll have to stick to Windows (and occassionally MacOS).

Ghol...

[quote="ghol"]Hi Chris,

For your information I am just a user like you and I am not sothink staff. If you want me or any user here to have a look at your file, please upload your file to any of file sharing website such as http://rapidshare.com/ or http://uploading.com/ and post the download link here.[/quote]

--- Sorry for misunderstanding... but wow... now I'm really impressed. As I looked through the SWF Easy forum, I'd seen so many of your postings providing such valuable feedback and resources for SWF Easy users, that I just assumed you must be one of the SourceTec employees. Well, you they ought to put you on the payroll for all your input. Kudos.

And yes, I'll see about sharing that template when I get it tweaked just a bit more.

Much thanks to you both!!!