SourceTec Software

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:22 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Tip text
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:15 am 

Hi,
Can someone please advise me on th e use of `Tip text`. I can find no info. on this. On my website search engine crawlers do not crawl any pages except the index page. I believe that this may be because the buttons are images. Is the Tip text another name for the `Alt text`?
Many thanks for taking the time to read this.
Sid.
http://www.sidneyharbour.co.uk

Post subject: Re: Tip text
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:02 am 
Guru

Please see my reply to your "Win7" post.

Regards,

Bill
Unofficial DHTML Menu Resource Site

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:11 pm 

Hi Bill,
Many thanks for your reply and advice.The `Tip text` now makes more sense to me. When I first built my website I had a simple navigation menu for some time, I then decided to make the DHTML version using `Sothink Menu builder`, yes it is the free version which I understand is no longer available,
From your posting I gather that using the paid version the search engine webcrawlers will be able to crawl every page on the site. Does this mean that they follow every link on the buttons to the appropriate page? Sorry to ask such a basic question. Also they do a `lite` version for personal pages which is more economical to use. Would you know if this will also allow crawlers to crawl every page?
I have looked at your link to your ` Unofficial DHTML Menu Resource Site `. very interesting and instructive if and when I start again.
My thanks once again,
Best Regards,
Sid.

--

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:22 am 
Guru

Hi Sid,

The Standard version of DHTML Menu has three very useful options on the "Tools" menu which will automatically generate the following items from a menu, even a menu that includes multiple levels:

Site Map - Sitemaps are a great SEO and usability tool. They make it easy for search engine crawlers to visit your entire site. They also give visitors a secondary navigation option and a view of your site's structure. You can view a multiple level sitemap at http://swanacal.com/sitemap.html.

Generate Google XML Sitemap - A Google XML Sitemap can improve your site's visibility in Google search results.

Generate Search Engine Friendly Code - I recommend including search engine friendly code in <noscript> tags. This enables search engine crawlers to "see" your site's navigation structure and visitors who may have JavaScript disabled can still see a site menu. You can see an example of this by visiting the Unofficial DHTML Menu Resource Site with JavaScript disabled.

I'm not familiar with DHTML Menu Lite so I looked it up. According to the website it costs $35.00 US and includes the three tools I described above.

Regards,

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:42 am 

Hi Bill,
Thanks again for your help and advice. Yes it was when I was looking into making a `Site map` that I realised I had a problem. So it looks like I will have to bite the bullet and buy the lite version, and then do a rebuild.
Many thanks and best regards,
Sid.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:59 am 
Guru

You're welcome, Sid. Those of us here in the former colonies are always happy to help folks who chose to remain in the mother country. If you run into problems while updating your menu there is usually someone on this forum who can help.

Regards,

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:44 pm 

Hi Bill,
Thank you for your kind comments on my website. Re your last posting I had a good chuckle, when my sister-in-law married George from MO it was mentioned in the reception speech that George came from our most successful colony. It all comes round.
I have downloaded the lite version and am now going to have a play and evaluate.
Best Regards,
Sid.