SourceTec Software

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:59 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: IE11 Support
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:37 am 

I have used SoThink DHTML Menu for years on my website. It works perfectly in all browsers I have ever tested used it in until IE11 now. When I try to open it there, it fails.

1, The menu does not display / render at all.
2, I have checked the JS console, and do not see any errors being generated.

Does anyone know what causes it to not display in IE11?

Post subject: Re: IE11 Support
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:37 am 

I had provided a outline, but moderator Bill_P deleted my topic having announced with certainty that no problems existed between DHTML Menu and IE11. However, Sothink technical support responded to my inquiry about their DHTML menus failing in IE11, saying: "We regret to advise that Sothink DHTML Menu does not support IE 11 currently." And in fact, it doesn't work very well, although not a 100% fail rate.

XFX Jumpstart and Milonic fixed the IE11 issues immediately with their DHTML products, but for some reason Sothink is still thinking about it.

If you add a website with DHTML menus embedded to the compatibility mode in IE11, the menu works, but that is not a viable solution for general public access. Unfortunately, the problem lies in part with the DOCTYPE. I compiled a rough fix, although not ideal, it works. At the top of your website page, add/replace and test with this content:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<meta http-equiv="x-ua-compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE9">
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=iso-8859-1">

Then under Tools in your browser, Delete browsing history... and then close the browser, reopen to page, click forward and back to the page from within the site. This replaces local files in queue with the latest ones for dependable results.

Not an ideal fix, where IE12 will not longer support compatibility emulations. Your website will either work or not in IE12. I have edged away from DHTML for a year now, because future browsers don't seem to embrace it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:48 pm 
Guru

What am I missing? I must admit that the sites I have been developing use CSS menus and it has been a while since I've used DHTMLMenu. However, the sites I developed using DHTMLMenu have been working fine with IE11, Version 11.0.9600.16411, (Windows 7) and Version 11.0.9600.16438 (Windows 8.1), without using compatibility mode. Those sites use the XHTML 1.0 Transitional DOCTYPE so, as a test, I created a site using the XHTML 1.0 Strict DOCTYPE. I added a DHTMLMenu using the Block template (the only active links are the Home page and Test Page under Products). The site seems to work fine in both versions of IE11 without using compatibility mode. Please try the menu and let me know what happens: http://bestwebmenu.com/ie11/.

By the way, the initial thread by Inndesign was deleted because it appeared to be promoting a competitor's product. Also, I am not a "Guru" -- that title is the result of the number of posts I have made in this forum, nothing more.

Regards,

Bill
Unofficial DHTML Menu Resource Site

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:25 am 

I apologize for wasting anyone's time. The version of software I was using was several years old. By dropping in the newest JS framework from the most recent DHTML menu builder software, it now renders 100% properly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:27 am 
Poster

I have just discovered that the menus that I see working fine in Chrome are not working at all in IE 11. Great. What is the suggested DocType that I should be using? I am, AFAIK, using the latest JS files.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:15 am 
Guru

I have DHTML Menus on sites with an XHTML 1.0 Transitional DOCTYPE that seem to be working fine in IE11 on Windows 7 and 8.1. I also created a site using the XHTML 1.0 Strict DOCTYPE (http://bestwebmenu.com/ie11/) and the DHTML Menu seems to be working without using compatibility mode.

Regards,

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:26 am 
Poster

That's fine, but it really doesn't help me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:30 am 
Guru

Please post a link to a site where the menu is not working in IE11.

Regards,

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:46 am 
Poster

I have two problems with this software now and have not been impressed with the level of "tech support" I have received. I'm investigating alternatives. I have looked at some CSS generators, but they have limitations that I don't see a way around, at present. Finding a good generator that uses Javascript is probably the answer. Do you know of any?

EDIT: I do not mean support here. I'm talking about support directly from Sothink (or SourceTec or whatever these people call themselves).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:21 am 
Guru

I'm sorry that you are not receiving technical support from Sothink. I have no official affiliation with Sothink but I don't think it's right to use their forum to discuss other products. On the menu of the Unofficial DHTML Menu Resource Site there is a Web Blog tab which will take you to my personal site. You can contact me through the home page of that site.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:14 pm 

http://www.mercersrestaurant.com.au/ the menu is not visible in IE 11, but functions fine on other browsers
The DHTML menu is only visible when the site is added into the Explorer compatibility view list.
This is not viable so is there any suggested fix for this please?
I have DHTML on other sites and they function normally but I cannot find where the issue is situated?
thanks for any help,
Graham

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:38 pm 

Disregard, found it myself. Had to update the js files on the server.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:36 am 

Hi

I have this problem too. Made a sothink dhtml menu and now it does not show in IE 11. Placing doctype solution works but I need a proper solution. Could someone please tell me step by step what I need to do. Where do I get the new JS framework? I tried to get it it from the latest version and copied over the old js files and problem did not resolve. What else needs to be done.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:13 am 
Guru

1) Make sure you are using the latest version of DHTML Menu - Version 9.8.

2) Load your .pgt file into the latest version.

3) Check for any special effects (Popup menu -Effect) and delete them. There should be NO special effects.

4) Generate your menu and be sure to upload ALL JavaScript files to your server.

I have checked all my sites that use DHTMLMenu with the latest version of IE11 and they all work fine.

Regards,

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 11:55 am 

Thanks bill.
1- Do i have to buy the new version to do this or the trail version output will suffice? Also my partner has version 9.2 and will let me use his computer. Will that work?
2- I made these menus many years ago and finding the pgt file will be impossible :(
3- The above posts talk about "dropping in the newest JS framework from the most recent DHTML " which means I dont need hte pgt file. How is that done.?

Sorry about so many questions. Answer any you may wish and have time plz.and thanks or your guidance.

BTW.. i just found out, just by turning the compatibility mode on everything works as is.

Last edited by kindo on Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:52 pm 
Guru

1. The trial version won't work because the number of links are limited. You can try using Version 9.2 but I doubt that it will generate a menu that's compatible with the latest browsers. In any event, you will have to build a new menu if you don't have the .pgt file.

2. You need the .pgt file in order to use DHTML Menu. If you upgrade to the latest version you can send the JavaScript file for your menu to Sothink Support and they may be able to recreate the .pgt file for you, but there are no guarantees.

3. If you were to upgrade to Version 9.8 and upload the most recent JavaScript files to your server, I doubt very much that a menu created with an older version of the program would work. If you want to use DHTML Menu on your website, I think you should plan on rebuilding the menu using the latest version of the program.

Finally, unless you convert your site to a CMS like WordPress that generates its own CSS menu, I think you are going to have to purchase software and rebuild the menu for your site. If you have further questions you can contact me using the email address on the "About This Site" page of the Unofficial DHTML Menu Resource Site.

Regards,

Bill