SourceTec Software

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:59 am 

I am taking on a website for a friend of mine and I see in his pages a call to stm31.js and after searching I think it is an old version of a Sothink menu product.

I do not have, own or anything written by Sothink and I am not trying to steal anything.
Here's my issue. The folks who created this site originally are no longer involved it this and I have no way of contacting them, not does the site-owner.
His menu scrolls with the page as you scroll the page. The menu is off the left side of the page and it is a vertical menu.
He wants it to be fixed same left alignment as it is now, but no vertical movement.
There are 2 files stm31.js and menu.js. Am I in the right place and can someone tell me what parameter to look for and what to change in whar file.
I know this is asking alot, but I have no other options.

Terry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:51 pm 
Guru

Hi Terry,

It sounds as if that menu was created with a very old version of DHTML Menu. I think Sothink stopped using stm31.js with Version 6 and the current version is 9.7. I don't think it's a good idea to run JavaScripts that old; even if you were able to make minor modifications to the code you would likely run into browser compability issues.

If your friend wants to keep and upgrade the menu, I suggest spending $65.00U S on the current version of the DHTML Menu program (http://www.sothink.com/product/dhtmlmenu/). Your friend may not have the .pgt file for the menu and that is essential to recreate and upgrade the menu. Once the new program has been purchased and registered, send the menu.js file and the registration information to support@sothink.com and request that they recreate the menu's .pgt file.

Regards,

Bill
Unofficial DHTML Menu Resource Site

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:26 am 

I understand and will ask the site owner if he wants to purchase the new version.
My next question is what would I have to supply to support in order for them to recreate this .pgt file and what is the cost for that?
Terry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:36 am 
Guru

You have to supply the menu's JavaScript file which is commonly named "menu.js" and your registration information. There should be no charge for recreating the .pgt file.

Regards,

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:20 am 

So I did as you suggested and purchased version 9, sent a request to Support with my registration number and the menu.js file and got a reply back stating:

We tried to recover the PGT file with the JS file attached. But we are sorry that it doesn't work.

Thanks for your support!

If you need further assistance, feel free to let us know.

Have a nice day!

Any suggestions from yours are valuable for us to improve our software and service.
Much appreciate your feedback!

Sincerely,

Rita Luo

Ok I spent $65 dollars US and am wondering how can I get a refund as I have no use for this at all.

Terry Troxel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:39 am 
Guru

You will have to contact Sothink regarding a refund. However, it seems as if the menu will have to be recreated and the program you purchased makes it relatively easy to develop a floating menu that remains visible as the page is scrolled.

Regards,

Bill