SourceTec Software

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:27 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Activation problem
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:59 pm 

A few months ago I re-installed V9.4 on a new HDD and activated the software successfully.

Now when I start the program, it requests each time that I activate the software. This fails each time. Error message:
"A connection to the activation server could not be established [0x800c0005] Check your Internet connection and try again"

As a result, I end up running a trial version of the program.

As per FAQ, I can connect OK to https://u1.sothink.com

I'm logged in to my computer as Administrator and don't have any Firewall in place.

I'm now posting to the board, as two detailed emails to support@sothink.com have not been acknowledged or replied to. (Before you ask, there is nothing in my Spam folder and I have successfully received email from support@sothink.com directly to my inbox in the past).

Thanks,
Haz

Post subject: Re: Activation problem
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:43 pm 
Guru

I can't help but I can empathize with you. I have contacted Sothink numerous times about their activation technology. I realize that software piracy is a major problem for companies such as Sothink, but there must be a better way. I test software on a variety of systems and Sothink and Adobe are the two companies that cause me major activation problems. From time to time I have a problem with Microsoft, but they have an automated telephone system that makes it relatively easy to solve an activation problem.

Regards,

Bill
Unofficial DHTML Menu Resource Site

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:15 am 

Thanks for your response Bill and for not admonishing me for posting this on the Forum! (I understand the Guidelines, but was hoping someone from SourceTec might monitor the postings and provide a solution).

I had similar problems about 2.5 years ago when I upgraded from V9.2 to V9.4. Normally I take the attitude "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", but V9.4 offered more templates etc. so decided to go for it. The result was a Registration Number 'Violation' email message from Sothink! This problem was eventually sorted out.

Before I went ahead with replacing the failed HDD on my system in October, I sent off an email to support@sothink.com informing them of my intention to change some hardware and asking if that would present any registration/activation problems for me. You guessed it, no reply to my email so I went ahead with the re-install (and apparent successful activation). My guess is that the error message is misleading and it has nothing to do with an 'Internet Connectivity' issue.

Anybody from SourceTec out there reading this?

Edit 04/01/2013 - Hello SourceTec SW/Sothink, is there anyone at home?
I need to use this program urgently. Is there any chance that you can reply to emails sent to support? This way we would not have to air our grievances in public.

Harry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:36 am 

I intended to take this topic to the ‘Feedback Forum’ only to find it is closed to further postings and I do not have permission to attract anyone’s attention by way of a PM. So basically, there does not appear to be any other way of making contact with Sothink.

In desperation, several days ago, I left a comment via the Customer Support option on the Customer Service page. Apart from the “Thanks for submitting your precious comment!” after submitting my request for someone from Sothink to get back to me, I have heard nothing, zilch!

I have worked in IT for more than 40 years and have never encountered a company so remiss and silent when it comes to responding to a customer’s query.

Please Sothink, I have provided you with all the order details etc. required on the Support Request web form to prove I have purchased the software. I just want to be able to use it! Please send me a “precious” reply.

Thank you,
Harry

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:14 pm 
Support Team
Support Team

------------
To haz :arrow:
------------

We feel sorry for the reply delayed!

Please kindly try the following method to check whether it helps:

1. Open your Internet Explorer > Tools > Internet Options > click Advance tab > Security > deselect "Check for server certificate revocation" > Apply.
2. Please open your Internet Explorer > Advanced > Reset Internet Explorer settings > Reset > OK

Hope that helps!

Besides, we would like to advise that the forum is mainly for discussion among users so we only check it at times. You could also contact us via email to support@sothink.com as we process mails on daily basis.

Again we feel terribly sorry for all the inconveniences.

Have a nice day! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:52 am 

Hello Nicole,

Thanks for the response.

I finally did receive a reply from Sothink (16/01/13) and checked the IE Security setting as suggested. I replied immediately to support@sothink.com, and also to the alternative Gmail address that was provided, to explain in clear, precise, terms that the suggested 'fix' did not work for me:

<quote>
Hello Nicole Liu,

Thank you for your reply. I did not receive the email you sent on 29/12/2012 and it was not in my Spam folder so I have no idea where it went!

I tried the steps you suggested. The "Check for for server certificate revocation" was already unchecked. Just to make doubly sure, I checked the box, applied the setting and restarted. Then I unchecked it again, applied the setting and restarted my computer and Internet Explorer. However, this does not fix the problem. I still get the same Activation Server error message i.e. "A connection to the activation server could not be established [0x800c0005]"

The version of Internet Explorer I'm using is IE6.0 I don't know if that is important.

Do you have any other suggestions on how to fix this problem?

Thank you,
Harry
</quote>

I am still patiently awaiting a reply to those emails (sent over two weeks ago) so in the meantime I have no other option but to air my problem here.

Thank you,
Harry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:52 pm 
Support Team
Support Team

------------
------------

We have already replied to your mail in which we suggest that you upgrade your IE browser to the latest version and try registering again.

Hope that helps!

If you need further assistance, feel free to contact us either via forum or email.

Have a nice day! :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:03 pm 

Hello Nicole,

I did not receive any reply to my most recent email to support@sothink.com, so I can only assume it disappeared into the ether! (This seems to be a common problem with email emanating from your domain). :cry:

I fail to understand why a supposedly 'stand-alone' program that has previously worked OK on my system is now, according to the advice you have just offered, dependent on a more recent release of Internet Explorer. Give me a break!

I originally installed the DHTML Menu software a few years ago on a system running Windows 2000 (SP4) and running the latest release of Internet Explorer compatible with that OS. Is your advice regarding upgrading to a more recent browser based on any real evidence? Or is it just a "try this and see if it works"?

Anyway, I consider I have been more than patient for long enough without receiving a solution from Sothink. I have un-installed the DHTML Menu software from the Windows 2000 system and installed same on a recently purchased Windows 7 system, running the latest browser. (I still fail to comprehend why that should even be an issue). Activating the software with the same authorisation key was apparently successful. I will wait with much apprehension to see if I can still run the program, without problems, thirty days from today.

I will report my findings here.

Regards,
Harry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:08 pm 
Support Team
Support Team

------------
------------

We just sent a pm (private message) in the forum to you; please check it for the details regarding how to resolve the registration problem.

Hope that helps!

If you need further assistance, feel free to let us know.

Have a nice day! :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:30 am 

Hello Nicole,

I am not authorised to reply to you by way of a PM, so have to resort to the open forum.

The steps you suggested in the PM you sent me were the same steps you suggested earlier. That 'remedy' did not work for me, as I indicated in my reply.

Regards,
Harry