SourceTec Software

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:05 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:37 am 

Hi,

Let me see if I can explain this. I am having issues with links in my sothink menu that are targeted to open in a new window in IE10. If you go here in IE10: http://www.spoonfrogclients.com/amgaa/ and then go to 'MG Program' and then click on 'Anchorage MG Course' and click. You will see that it pops up 2 windows instead of one. I have the link set to target '_blank'. Is there another target that I need to set it to have it only open one window?

Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:56 pm 
Guru

Use JavaScript. Go to the "Advanced Techniques" tab at the Unofficial DHTML Menu Resource Site and read the section titled, "Open A Link In A New Window."

Regards,

Bill
Unofficial DHTML Menu Resource Site

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:50 pm 

Hi,

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I was so happy to see that what looked like a simple fix, but it isn't working for me. Is there a setting that I may be missing. In the 'general area', to the left of where you put the title of the button, there are toggles for 'text', 'html', 'image'. I have mine set to 'text'. Is this correct? I am just trying to trouble shoot why your links on your help site work just fine for me in IE 10 but my links are still not working right.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:53 pm 
Guru

Hi Spoonfrog,

Here are the Menu Item - General settings to open a link in a standard new window:

Please let me know if that works for you in IE10.

Regards,

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:54 am 

Thank you again for your reply. It still isn't working for me. I set the links up exactly like you mentioned but I am still getting the double windows.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:35 am 
Guru

Maybe it has to do with the weather in Alaska. Your link works as it should for me in IE10 -- it opens http://www.uaf.edu/ces/districts/anchorage/MG/ in a new tab.

Regards,

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:44 am 

Hi,

Okie dokie, maybe it is the weather up here! LOL! Actually, I got it to work but had to alter the code a bit. Here is what I had to use to get external website links to open in a new window.

javascript:window.open('URL GOES HERE','_new_window')

Any other version made 2 windows open for me.

I now have another issue with pdf files on this site. I have 2 test links for this. One is a full url link and the other is just the pdf file.

1. full url link: http://www.alaskamastergardeners.org/Ca ... lendar.pdf (this one is located at ''Calendars', 'event calendar 1')
2. just file link: AMG_Information.pdf (this one is located at 'Advanced Master Gardener', 'Requirements 1'.

When I add your javascript to these it doesn't work. How am I suppose to link a pdf correctly to have it open in a new window in IE10?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:33 am 
Guru

This may not work in Alaska but down here in California I use the following to open a PDF file in a new tab/window:

Please let me know what happens when you open http://caltiponline.org/ and select the "Information" tab then "Oasys-Net Instruction Manual." I thought it might have something to do with popup blocker settings in IE10 but I tried different settings and it always opened the PDF file in a new tab and never opened two new tabs.

Regards,

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:39 am 

Okay, AWESOME! This works in Alaska!! This is how I thought I would have to do it, too!

Thank you so much for all your help! :D