SourceTec Software

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:26 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Floating menu
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:53 am 
Poster

If I have missed this in the options I apologize.
I have just visited a site where a menu is across the top of the page and as you go down the page the menu follows down staying always at the top of the visible page. Like you can do with the top row in Excel sort of. You can see it at http://www.secheltactivitycentre.com/ - go and scroll down.
Anyway I think it is kind of neat and would be useful on some sites. Can we do this with DHTML menu as is or with some sort of script?
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Floating menu
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:46 am 
Guru

Yes, you can create a floating menu using DHTML Menu. Go to the Unofficial DHTML Menu Resource Site, select the "Advanced Techniques" tab and scroll down to the section on "Floating Menus". That section will give you basic information on creating floating menus as well as a few advanced techniques you might want to use.

Regards,

Bill
Unofficial DHTML Menu Resource Site

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:58 am 
Poster

Thank you very much and after all these years it makes me feel dumb<grin>
NOW a challenge to do with floating.
I thought it might be neat to have the menu float with not just a row of menu boxes but carry a header with it. I can do it - sort of - BUT it won't work the way I have done it. It would be easiest to to send you a pgt file but I don't see any attach thing on this forum.
What I have done is create pgt with the first item as an image of the web page header I want - properly wide and so on. Then I went for a multi-column horizontal and made 4 boxes. In edit mode it is just what I want but of course in reality it does not show the boxes unless you click or pass your mouse over the 'header'.
So is there a a way to make a the 'header' show alwaysand without anything show the first level of 'sub-menus' but not show any sub-menus below that without clicking. Hard to explain:

<top-level Menu>
Home (Image)
Menu Item 2 (first item of regular horizontal menu)
Menu Item 1 (sub-menu of above as vertically item to appear when above item clicked)
Menu Item 3 (second box of main regular menu - showing horizontal)
Menu Item 1 (sub-menu to be open when above one clicked)
Menu Item 4
or go to http://sechelt.info/page2.html - you will see the header but you have to move you mouse over it to see the menu - I want it to show the menu and then I can float it.

Sorry to be so wordy.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:26 am 
Guru

I'm sorry but I don't know how to do that from within the program. I've added a table as the last item on a vertical floating menu (http://swananorcal.org/), but I don't think that's going to work with a horizontal menu. You might try placing both the header and a static menu in a DIV with position: fixed, or contact support@sothink.com. If you get a solution from Sothink please post it here so that others might benefit from the advice.

Regards,

Bill
Unofficial DHTML Menu Resource Site