SourceTec Software

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:38 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: very slow menu in ie...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:32 am 

Hello,

I have a menu with single submenu, each multi column, total of about 130 links.

It works great with firefox, but in ie (6 and 7) it cause the page to load very slowly, and system resources to to 100% upon page load and upon first activation of each submenu. After that, it is faster but still not like firefox.

I didn't have all of the links in prior to upgrading (I have the latest version now) so I can't say if it has to do with that.

I read somethings here about memory leak issues on older versions with ie, but nothing on the more current issues.

Maybe my menu's just too large? I looked at some examples and it doesn't seem to be much larger than some that I've looked at, but maybe it is.

Anyways, I just wanted to see if anyone has any ideas, or can confirm that my menu is too large.

I opened a ticket with Sothink support, but they just told me it's normal and nothing I can do about it. It's really slow, so much that if there's no fix I will have to redesign my menu, but I really don't want to go away from it's current design.

You can see the menu here:

www.blueechoav.com

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:31 pm 
Guru

Hi lew9e,

Just an idea off the top of my head, but have you tried the menu without the fade effect?
Those effects do use quite a bit of CPU on older PC's I noticed, and of course the fade only works on IE - so you might as well consider switching it off.

Exo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:48 pm 

Hi Exo,

Thanks for replying. I double checked and I have the effects set to Normal...I remember trying an effect a few weeks ago and it was even slower :(

I do have a short delay set up, because with the size of the dual/triple column popout, it was annoying to run your mouse across the nav bar and get the popout right away that blocked so much content.

Anyways, thanks again for trying to help.

Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:40 am 
Guru

Hi again lew9e/Tony

on my IE, it's showing the fade effect on the sub-menus, that's the effect I'm suggesting you switch off.
Maybe you've only switched off the effect for the main menu and not all the sub-menus.
If you try it "normal" on just one sub-menu I could compare my CPU usage to a fading sub-menu.

Post subject: that helped a little...
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 5:56 am 

Hi Exo! Thanks for not giving up on me! You were right...I switched the fade off on the submenus...

It cut the time down to an acceptable level for me, but still pretty slow compared to firefox. It still uses 100% on page load, and 75% to 100% on initial submenu popout (vs about 30% for ff).

Well, I'd really like to get it more efficient (faster), but if not, at least I can live with this speed now.

I really appreciate your help...if you have any more suggestions, please let me know.

Have a great day!

Tony