SourceTec Software

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:41 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:35 pm 

Hi,
While I have raised another issue regarding the use of the Sothink Tree Menus via an add-in to Expression Web 3, see following link, I very much like the look of the product so I am attempting to evaluate it as a stand-alone product and then inserting the published tree into my EW-3 web structure.

http://www.sothink.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=294492

Overall I am attempting to upgrade a 400+ page website from Frontpage shared border navigation to a W3C standards compliant web that uses css style sheets and dynamic web templates via EW-3. However, while this produces nice code, it doesn’t provide a navigation solution, hence the need to integrate a separate menu packages, such as Sothink.

However, the specific problem I am having regards the use of a Dynamic Web Template (.dwt) file to provide a standard look & feel to all 400 pages within the site. I want this file to contain the code for the menu tree, which EW-3 copies into each page. However, these pages need to reside in a hierarchical folder structure that then breaks the tree menu in the sense that the <script>.js file seems to want to call graphic (.gif) files at same folder level as the .html file in question, e.g. 1 to 400.

Is there a way to put all script code/files in 1 folder, e.g. /menuScripts, which is then globally referenced by all html files containing the <script></script> calls?

Last edited by mysearch on Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:26 pm 

By way of a footnote, I have tried various combinations of the 'web path' under global settings with no success as yet. I get the menu displayed on all pages OK, but no 'gif' files are loaded. Here is the first few lines of my .js included in the .dwt. Can anybody see the problem?

stBM(290,"tree71f1",[0,"menus/","file://C:/Users/Keith/Desktop/My%20Documents/My%20Webs/1%20Development/Expression%20Web/Evaluation/Test%20Designs/DWT/Mydwt/","blank.gif",0,"left","default","hand",1,0,-1,-1,-1,"none",0,"4a4a4a","transparent","","no-repeat",1,"black_f.gif","black_uf.gif",15,15,1,"dashed_t.gif","dashed_c.gif","dashed_b.gif","dashed_v.gif",1,0,0,1,"center",0,3,0,"","","","",""]);

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:28 pm 

This is an update to anybody interested in using the Sothink product to build a menu system for a large website. First, I like the product, the interface is much more intuitive than others I have tried so far, but I can’t get it to work when used in conjunction with a dynamic web template (.dwt). As far as I know, the approach I am trying to adopt is a recommended approach for anybody attempting to produce W3C compliant code.

As such, I would like to think that somebody at Sothink would be interested in resolving my problem and therefore I have posted the issue as described below to the technical support people. Ticket#2009091010002231

Possible Workaround:
I have played around with the ‘web path’ under ‘global settings’. There are 3 separate fields: script path, image path and link prefix. So far, every permutation I have tried has not worked, BUT by manually editing the main menu.js file produced by the Sothink product I have got the system to work. Of course, the idea of always having to do this every time I make a change is still problematic

I will describe a hypothetical example that more simply reflects my folder structure and the use of dynamic web templates. This system reflects tests being done on a local file system where file:// replaces http:// when global referencing was tried.

File System
file://C:/Webs/My Web/ top level contains default.html
file://C:/Webs/My Web/html/page1 next level contains page1.html
file://C:/Webs/My Web/html/page2 next level contains page2.html
file://C:/Webs/My Web/html/menus contains all .js and .gif files produced

Initially, I only defined script path & image path to be “menus/”, i.e. no link prefix. Add the published code to my .dwt file, which is modified for relative addressing (../..) when copied to .html files. This is the code added to the .dwt:

<script type="text/javascript" src="menus/stlib.js"></script>

<a href="http://www.dhtml-menu-builder.com" style="display:none;visibility:hidden;">Javascript DHTML Tree Menu Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com</a>
<script type="text/javascript" src="menus/menu.js"></script>

Menus on the top level (default.html) worked, but menus associated with page1 and page2 were missing graphics .gif. So the addressing for the .js files works at all levels, but the addressing inside menu.js, which makes the calls to the .gif files does not.

stBM(290,"tree71f1",[0,"menus/","","blank.gif",0,"left","default","hand",1,0,-1,-1,-1,"none",0,"4a4a4a","transparent","","no-repeat",1,"black_f.gif","black_uf.gif"

In an attempt to avoid describing the many permutations tried, the following extract from a menu.js does work, but I had to edit the file manually, i.e. I still have NOT found a permutation in the ‘web path’ configuration that will do this automatically.

stBM(290,"tree71f1",[0," C:/Webs/My Web/menus/","", "blank.gif",0,"left","default","hand",1,0,-1,-1,-1,"none",0,"4a4a4a","transparent","","no-repeat",1,"black_f.gif"

Note: Trying to use global addressing when defining the script path and image path caused problems when the .js files were called from other than the top level and included fillers for <spaces> in the folder names, i.e. “My Web” go to “My%20Web”. This has to also be changed.

If anybody knows where I going wrong I would really appreciate an update as I otherwise think your menu interface is the best I seen. However, manual editing on each release would be a major showstopper. If a solution presents itself I will post an update.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:37 pm 
Support Team
Support Team

Hi there,

We replied to you via email!

Please kindly have a check with the inbox.

Thanks a lot!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:15 pm 

Final update about this problem, which the Sothink support team has kindly helped resolve. Part of the problem may have been aggravated by having <spaces> in my folder name rather than underscores ( _ ). The following settings in the web path configuration were made under global setting:

Script Path: menus/scripts/
Image Path: C:/Webs/My_Web/menus/images/ (adopted the _ suggestion)
Link Prefix: not required

I would also like to again acknowledge how helpful and responsive the Sothink support team were in resolving this problem. It has certainly encouraged me to continue with this product. Thanks :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:41 am 
Guru

yep, any spaces in file names and paths will cause problems. programming standards say never to use spaces in paths.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:48 am 

Yes, it is very common in the programming world to never use spaces unless you absolutely have to. I am always try to avoid it whenever possible.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:57 am 

Good read,thanks.