SourceTec Software

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:12 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:23 am 

Is there a way to change the progress bar functionality so it's more like the YouTube videos?

In particular, you can push play on a YouTube video and then pause the video and the progress bar continues to move across the player as the video is downloaded to the computer.

I want to do the same thing with my videos so users can see when the video is fully downloaded before they start to play it.

Can this be done? Does anyone have a pre-made skin they can share?

None of the skins that came with Sothink Video Encoder for Adobe Flash do this. The progress bar only moves when the video is played so users have no way of knowing how much of the video has been downloaded unless they are playing the video.

UPDATE 1:
I see the progress bars on these samples (http://www.sothink.com/product/flashvideoencoder/demo-playcontrol.php#full) do actually move to show the buffering.

How come my videos' progress bars do not move across to show the buffering?

Could it have anything to do with the web server? Maybe ModSecurity, gzip or ModDeflate?

I am using Windows Server 2003, Apache 2.2, PHP 5.3. I tried adding the following .htaccess file to the directory which contains my .swf and .flv files but it did not seem to help:
Code:
LimitRequestBody 10000000000000

<IfModule mod_security.c>
   SecFilterEngine Off
   SecFilterScanPOST Off
   SetEnvIfNoCase Content-Type "^multipart/form-data;" "MODSEC_NOPOSTBUFFERING=Do not buffer file uploads"
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_gzip.c>
   mod_gzip_on No
</IfModule>

<IfModule mod_deflate.c>
   SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI .* no-gzip dont-vary
</IfModule>

UPDATE 2:

My videos are 15-40 minutes long. I changed to the YouTube skin so the progress bar starts out gray and it is supposed to turn red from left to right as the video downloads. After further testing, I now see the progress bar displays differently in different browsers.

IE8 and Safari 4.0.4: Progress bar starts out grey. When video finishes downloading completely, the entire bar turns red. Never shows gradual progress as video is downloading.

FF 3.6 and Opera 10.51: Entire progress bar is always red no matter how much of the movie has been downloaded.

------------------------------------------------------
RESOLVED - 3-26-10
Not 100% sure of the cause but I think it’s related to caching. The videos are being placed in articles that are created in the Vivvo CMS. I moved the files from the 'video' directory, that I created some time ago, to the 'flash' directory that comes with Vivvo and I updated the paths in the <object> tags. I guess the Vivvo CMS has the 'flash' directory excluded from caching. At least that’s what I think it is.