SourceTec Software

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:45 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: Web Scroller Publishing
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:47 am 
Poster

I am pretty experienced with Sothink Menu but publishing this Scroller thing has me bamboozled. I have spent hours trying to make a simple Image Scroller show on my web page. Why could it not be simple?
Here is what I have,
By FTP I have a directory called members/Gord/HPrigAlbum/ and in it I have uploaded the directorys produced by the program - images and js
On my webpage I have in the body put the full path code of <script type="text/javascript" src="http://bccanoekayaksailing.ca/members/Gord/HPrigAlbum/HPrig.js"></script>
In my header for the page I have put the following:
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://bccanoekayaksailing.ca/members/Gord/HPrigAlbum/stscode.js"></script>
The Image Scroller does not show on my page.
HELP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:19 am 
Poster

Thank you for all you effort.
Following inserting the missing flolder reference I now get the outline of the "pet" scrapbook but no thumbnail pictures in the small scrapbook for scrolling. Look at http://bccanoekayaksailing.ca/member_Gord.html

I have the links set to show me the pictures large and if I click on one of the spaces where the thumbnail should be I get the big picture.

What am I missing now to get the thumbnails?

Am I having a senior moment or is this GUI really awful. It has settings - advanced settings - no simple way to set what should go where - sorry - I will think this through when I see a solution. Fingers crossed.

Post subject: File and commnets
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:43 am 
Poster

I really appreciate your efforts here but it sure points out problems with this program unlike how nice the SoThink DHTML menu program and Tree program work.

I am attaching the .sjc file inside a .zip with just the first 5 pictures. As you can see I did enter the pictures in the program Item Image space for all of them including the 5th one you reference and viewed. Secondly I entered the image in the Link space but as it would need to find itself on the web. The thumbnail picture shows fine in the program but fails on the website. The larger picture - wanted - works for all the pictures including 1 to 5 in IE8 as it should. Are you suggeting the program requires thumbnails to made for the Item place but OK with the large ones for the clicking to see larger? It does not call for that and does mean alot of extra work so there are two sets of pictures somewhere. And, again, the program shows the thumbnails clearly as does the preview from the program (it does not show the pictures large after clicking in the preview, of course, due to the file reference setting for the web). Thanks some more.

SIGH!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Oh MY
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:30 am 
Poster

Ahhhh! So obvious when you see it. That is the way they were sent to me and I never spotted the periods. Let's go into hold for a day and I will rework the pictures and the Scroller and THEN see if we have problems.
I will report back and thanks.

Post subject: Your right
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:13 am 
Poster

Sorry your not feeling well -
and redoing the thing with pictures with no periods did no good at all. It still shows the outline and still will show the large picture if you click on the small square where the thumbnail should be BUT it will not show the thumbnails. I clearly have loaded up the entire album - js folder and image folder and the latter contains the pictures and the arrow graphics. I also have the pictures uploaded by FTP in the same member/Gord main directory and clearly the js knows to get the large version there.
Is everyone having this grief?

Do you want to take doen my response to your error advice message/ I do not have permission to take it down but maybe you can.

Post subject: Response
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:09 am 
Poster

I am not sure I get the question so I will just stab at it:

The large version of each picture is in the directory http://bccanoekayaksailing.ca/members/Gord/ then the files are, of course, HPrig_01.jpg though to HPrig_10.jpg (They seem to work fine as a thumbnail or blank where one should be is clicked)

The other place the files are on the server is within the Scoller created images file at http://bccanoekayaksailing.ca/members/G ... bum/images

Putting the files in the program, of course, was entering each in the Item-Image place in the Item tab with a local drive address. Typical is M:\9WebConstruction\canoe\members\Gord\HPrig\HPrig_01.jpg

Is this any help?

Post subject: Me again
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:10 am 
Poster

How about just sending me the Head and body java scripts the program produced. I could not leave well enough alone and spent another 3 or 4 hours with this thing and finally got it to work right. It is now running right on the page. I'd like to see what you produced.
The key was the Advanced tab and entering the paths in there - at least that's how I did it.
I know you spent a lot of time on this and you found one (or more)dumb reference error of mine.
I think the way the program is written it is beyond most simple users. Getting the references right is a real task. It should produce a folder with the files in it and an index or some other trigger file to reference on. Then the folder could be loaded into any folder online and a link be set from the webpage - like the head and body do now but with having to build the references first in the program. In a way that is how the menu and tree programs work except you would never - I don't think put their files in a folder away from the activating page.
Thank you again for all your help - in the end it was critical to me getting there.

Post subject: Last word
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:44 am 
Poster

Thanks for the file.
Simplicity is in the eye of the beholder and sometimes those who have expertise cannot see how to simplify. I have worked at computers in biz since 1976 and websites since 1998 and now maintain and service over 40 sites for non-profits and charities. I buy software all the time to ease the job or make it more interesting.
This particular program has been by far the very worst for figuring out the way to make it function on sites. I don't think I learned a thing about webdesign - just how to make this tough critter function - maybe.
Simple solutions.
-Describe how links should be done on the program page -it would only take a small line or so on the tabbed page
-the Publish page is a mess. Yes I want the result saved to this folder on my hard drive. Then what are the file references needing filling in below for js and images. What is the nearly greyed out Resources folder entry block for? Either everything goes with the main result or they don't or they are for very advanced users only and should be over there.
- putting a slidshow in a folder other than the main index folder is hardly for Advanced users only - it would be the most common place or there would be conflicts as soon as more than one slideshow was put up and taking them down at anytime would be tedious.
- From the very start I had 3 pictures showing in a horiozonatl mode both in the program and in the preview yet even in your efforts the program only generated 2 pictures across on the web. The width of 40% was too little and had to go to pixals and 400 to get three across. Waste of time and for many would not be clear how to fix. An easy coding fix at SoThink says I.
- there were other confusing items and not even in the usual SoThink style for me to fall back on.
Finally the program when it works and when it is setup right produces a nice result. I suggest getting there is the problem. Consider how many trial versions did not turn into purchases over this.
Again thanks but I had to get it off my chest.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:52 pm 
Poster

:evil: I entered into an exchange with support over a month ago under [Ticket#2011060110001312] SoThink JavaScript Webscroller 2.2 Problems-AGAIN. I have sent followups with no response - the last two June 6 and July 4 with no acknowledment or anything. AND so I am trying this route.
If I am a pain in the butt then tell me and I will just give up on Sothink software (currently registered for menu,tree and scroller) and slowly convert my 44 websites to something else. On the other hand, it there has just been a slip up then please respond something.
I am trying to be helpful by not giving up and by trying to point out an issue that an experineced program user is having so that it might be fixed. God know how the less experienced are coping. The following is the last email copy sent (it had attachments as indicated):
Hi,
I think I am getting closer to the problem. I tried your way for a simple ipad01 and used your pictures and everything. I followed your settings and used the Header and Body code. It worked fine on a webpage.
Then I went to do a slideshow 01 and it all goes wonky! See attached zip file.
Snap2 is the first of the pages to fill. I have called the JS scroller1.js and I have a folder on my M: drive called javaSpon and so that is the 'Web page folder" You can see what the program generated for the Javascript and Images.
I uploaded the whole file javaSpon onto my server in the right place - see Snap3 for a FTP shot.
Snap1 is the Header and Body code generated by the program. I entered it into my pages exactly as shown. and of course it did not work. There is no reference to the file folder on the server - javaSpon.
I changed the Body code to <script type="text/javascript" src="javaSpon/js/scroller1.js"></script> and the Header code to <script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript1.2" src="stmenu.js"><script type="text/javascript" src="javaSpon/js/stscode.js"></script> and SIGH! It still does not work. Something inside the files must go wrong.
I am not nuts nor incompetent so it is the program and not me, I am convinced by this action. Show me what to do. I am attaching the whole javaSpon file and the sjc file.

Back to you.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:47 am 
Old Hand

Without more information --- link to the problem site etc. (along with the zip file mentioned in your post) --- not much anyone can do.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:48 am 
Poster

I guess I really thought that Support monitored the Forums and might get a message to look at the ticket(s) which have EVERYTHING. Sigh.

If you are so nice and considerate to take a plunge at it I will be grateful and maybe Support will be too.

The Scoller is posted on the page http://secheltgroves.com/master.html You will see a scoller of sorts working in the top right but I only have this in since the Java one failed. I do not like the features of the substitute so want to get Java going. The Java Scroller code is in the centre of the page below the links to the zip files.
It does not appear that this forum allows loading up files so you will find links to the 2 zip files in the web page.

I look forward to the next exciting installment. Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:05 am 
Old Hand

Couple of questions:

Can you put a link to the source file?

What are the dimensions of the page you are wanting this to load to?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:26 am 
Old Hand

There is a problem with your coding. I have uploaded the scroller to my server and using the full path (which I do on all of my scrollers), it won't work for me.

Without the source file, I'm afraid I can't help.

I'll see if I can build one that shows the pictures, post the source file so you can add your links.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:16 am 
Poster

Not sure what you mean by the source file. I put a link to the file that I put on the server with all the data from the program - javaSpon containing images-js and the other files that drag along. I put a link to the javaSpon.sjc file both in the first zip. I put up a link with screen shots of the code the program devleoped.
The code on the page is showing in the source as <a href="http://www.dhtml-menu-builder.com" style="display:none;visibility:hidden;">Javascript DHTML Image Web Scroller Powered by dhtml-menu-builder.com</a>
<script type="text/javascript" src="javaSpon/js/scroller1.js"></script> The code in the header is <script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript1.2" src="stmenu.js"><script type="text/javascript" src="javaSpon/js/stscode.js"></script>
I have put up a link to give a screen shot of the FTP load so you can see the placement of javaSpon
I have put up a link to all the images used to create the file.
The webpage is about 1000X1000 pixels
All at http://secheltgroves.com/master.html

Remember I got a simple ipad01 to work fine and the program produced the proper references. When I made a slideshow 01 it did not perfom either in creating proper reference code or on the site.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:17 am 
Old Hand

Don't know what the problem with your script was, but a fresh one works fine.

http://www.ahgweb.com/demo

Remember that with mobile sites, you MUST keep the window smaller than the entire page. The above link should open in a mobile device that can run javascript.

Page dimensions best at 310 wide by 470 long. . . or so I've been told

Last edited by dijenga on Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:20 am 
Old Hand

by "Source file" I mean the one you built it from. You save an sjc file with all the info - files pics etc- which you can edit if you have changes in the future.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:15 am 
Poster

I am sorry- I thought I had included the sjc file in the first link. I just checked and it is not there. I have now put it up separate at http://secheltgroves.com/master.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:45 am 
Old Hand

Works fine on the iphone.

What I did was place my web page in a folder under my domain named demo . . . it will work the same if you did it in the root folder for your index.html page.

In the same directory, I uploaded the js and images folders.

I inserted the appropriate code in the header and body of my web page.

That is the one on the upper left.

The one on the lower right, I did exactly as above except:

I created a folder in the root directory and pointed the header and footer links to that location as follows ---

In the head, I pasted "<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.ahgweb.com/javaSpon/js/stscode.js"></script>"

In the body, I pasted "<script type="<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.ahgweb.com/javaSpon/js/scroller.js"></script>"

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:17 pm 
Poster

First, I am not working for it functioning on a cell phone - just the web page.

I changed the code on the page to read: <script type="<script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.secheltgroves.com/javaSpon/js/scroller1.js"></script> That is a dead copy of yours but for two changes: 1) the website 2) the scroller as scroller1 since that is what the scroller file is called in the javaSpon/js folder that is loaded and that I sent you. You have left out the 1 so I guess you did some sort of rebuiild from scratch. This also showed in the screen shots I posted in the snap3page.zip
I changed the code in the header to read: <script type="text/javascript" language="JavaScript1.2" src="stmenu.js"><script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.secheltgroves.com/javaSpon/js/stscode.js"></script> Here the latter bit is an exact copy of what you gave me but for changing the website. The first bit is, of course, the code for the Sothink menu. Could there be a conflict?
The javaSpon file I did not change at all and it still resides as I showed in the screen shot as a folder in the main directroy of the site (where the index file, etc. is)
I reloaded the page, closed IE and reopened it to be sure I had a refresh and I have no scroller at http://secheltgroves.com/master.html. the revised page code shows at line 429 of the source code and the header code up top at the header Line 11.
What now?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:44 pm 
Old Hand

I don't see a conflict, but I do need to ask if you changed the text for the body, as that would need a full path as well.

Also, you might do a rebuild and upload only the js and images folders. Works flawlessly in exploder, firefox, chrome on my end.

You had said: "I tried your way for a simple ipad01 and used your pictures and everything. I followed your settings and used the Header and Body code. It worked fine on a webpage."

That's where I got the idea you were trying for a mobile version.

Problem is, when it works for a web page, it works as well for the iphone (BTW, there is an emulator to let you preview on your computer if you decide to do so later), it works for the browsers.

For my page, I used your source file, updated the image links to match their location on my hard drive, compiled your source file and uploaded the resulting folders to my server.

Something must have gotten corrupted in compiling or during the upload to your server.