SourceTec Software

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:03 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:05 am 
Poster

Dear all, :arrow:

We are writing concerning the compatibility issue between DHTML Menu and Internet Explorer 10.

Recently, many DHTML Menu users have reported that the old menus disappear on Windows 8, IE 10, but works fine on other browsers.

After looking into the problem, our developers conclude that the problem is due to the special popup effects. If you have set those effects which only support IE (exclude IE10) for your old menu, the menu cannot display properly on the new IE browser. That is because of the special effects which have been deleted in IE10. And we found this problem also exists in similar software.

As a temporary solution, we suggest you delete the popup effect or use cross-browser compliant effects, including "Slip and Rectangle" within DHTML Menu. Then republish the menu to your webpage. The menu will display correctly.

We will make a further research on the compatibility issue on IE10 and will inform you timely if there is any update.

If you have any further queries about Sothink DHTML Menu, please feel free to contact us at support@sothink.com.

Have a nice day! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:03 am 
Guru

Thank you for the information, Rita. At this time I don't plan to upgrade my desktop development system from Windows 7 to Windows 8; however, I have pre-ordered a Dell XPS 12 Convertible Touch Ultrabook and I wll be able to do some Windows 8/IE10 testing when it arrives in mid-November. In the meantime I will check my sites to make sure that none of the menus use special effects.

Regards,

Bill
Unofficial DHTML Menu Resource Site

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:00 am 
Guru

Thanks again, Rita, for alerting us to the special effects problem with IE10. I have tested all my sites in both the app version and the desktop version of IE10 and the DHTML Menus all work fine with the exception of the sample page of special effects on the "Advanced" tab of the Unofficial Sothink DHTML Menu Resource Site.

Regards,

Bill
Unofficial Sothink DHTML Menu Resource Site

P.S. I'm posting this from a Dell XPS 12 Convertible Ultrabook running Windows 8. It's a whole new world for old guys like me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:41 am 

[quote="Rita_"]As a temporary solution, we suggest you delete the popup effect or use cross-browser compliant effects, including "Slip and Rectangle" within DHTML Menu. [/quote]

How, specifically, does one do this? Could you provide step-by-step instructions? I don't see any "popup effect" in the menus I am testing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:53 am 
Guru

When a menu item has submenus (popups) there is an option to select "Effects" under Popup Menu tasks (see illustration below). To assure compatibility with IE10 make sure those effects are set to "Normal".

Regards,

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:46 pm 

How about compatibility with FireFox 17? In my test of DHTML menu (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=326940), a menu that works in IE and Chrome (and Opera and others) disappears when the site is viewed in FireFox 17. Is there a fix?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:26 am 
Guru

User solved the problem.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:11 pm 

Thank you Bill_P.My problem is solved.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:40 pm 
Guru

You're very welcome, Dimitri.

Regards,

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:51 am 

I tied this out on two different websites. Turning off the effects/shadowing worked perfectly for one, but not for the other.

Menu fixed: http://www.jet-mail.com

Menu still not showing: http://www.bostonwebdesignco.com

The menu does not show at all for the second site. I have a LOT of sites to fix, and I need to know this program will fix them. The differences between the two is one uses one line drop downs inserted into tables (jet-mail). The second one uses tables and splits them into separate table columns to get the desired look and feel for multi-column.

I even disabled the pop-up direction part by setting them both to zero.

Glen Silva

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:04 am 
Guru

Sorry about the delayed response. Your menu seems to display in IE10 so you must have fixed the problem.

Regards,

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:32 pm 

Has there been any movement on this issue? Microsoft are now auto rolling out IE10 on windows 7 systems also with the majority of users unaware that the update has taken place which is going to increase dramatically the number of people who cannot access the menus on sites using this software. I have tried using the suggestion of turning effects to normal and removing shadow but I still at best get the menu showing but the only sub menus that display are the ones which have a further submenu so there are no working links from the menu at all in IE10 unless in compatibility mode and how many users are going to think of doing that? http://www.highfield-caravans.co.uk/

I am concerned that this issue seems to have been known about since October of last year and still there isn't a fix for it. I am now faced with rewriting menus for every site which uses this software, disappointing to say the least.

UPDATE:

panic over for now, I just worked out that the effects option isn't global and needs to be addresses on every sub menu parent. Menus now working in IE10

Last edited by willy-doit on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:42 pm 
Guru

Hi Willy-doit,

This is a user forum. You should express your concern to support@sothink.com.

Regards,

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:57 pm 

I have tried the recommended fix and it still doesn't work. All effects are set to normal and I have uploaded the new files; however, the menu will display for a while but within 24 hours when I have returned to the website the menu is once again gone.
I have to re-upload the resource files again and the menu will display, this is crazy to have to constantly re-upload the resource files daily in order for the menu to work.

One site this issue is on is: http://newporttherapy.com/

The menu is working as of right now, since I re-uploaded the resource files yet again, but by tomorrow the menu will not display again.

These menus have worked for years with no issues until I updated the menu this past week and since then the issue is constant.

Is there any help with this issue?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:23 pm 
Guru

After working with computer hardware and software for almost 50 years I have learned that almost anything is possible but having code disappear from a page without outside assistance is very unusual. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with DHTML Menu. Go to the "Getting Started" section at http://bestwebmenu.com/ and start with Step 3 to create a Web Path and use an external JavaScript include file for your menu. Those steps might help to prevent the disappearance of your menu.

Regards,

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:18 pm 

Hi Bill,
The code and files are not disappearing at all, they are still there just not being recognized. So they need to be refreshed (re-uploading those files create a manual refresh on the server) and once that is done the menu is once again displayed. I will give your suggestion a try once the menu drops from view again and see if that will do the trick. Thanks for the advice and will keep you updated.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 6:21 pm 

So I placed normal in both special effects fields and this did not work. My assumption was that popup menus would still work in ie 10 with no special effects. Please let me know if this is true so I know in which direction my trouble shooting should take.

www.schorn.net is the website with the problem.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 11:00 pm 
Guru

Please make sure that you are using the latest version of DHTML Menu - Version 9.8. Then go to the Unofficial DHTML Menu Resource Site and follow the steps outlined in the Getting Started tab. If your drop-down menus still don't appear in IE10 please upload the menu's .pgt file and post a link to the file.

Regards,

Bill

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:17 pm 

Currently i have no solution of your question but i surely know that one of my friend gives the answer of it. I ask him for it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:46 pm 

In IE10 the dropdown is not showing properly though is working fine in IE9 .If there is any solution plz help me out.ASAP