This is a guest article contributed by Pat Malloy*.
Social media now affects all facets of business â€“ from marketing to end customer support and everything in between. Social media is where you see product and service feedback. Social media is where you learn what your customers likeâ€¦ and donâ€™t like. And itâ€™s the quickest way to build brand recognition within your target market.
So where does your logo fit in to social media marketing? Although small in size, itâ€™s an extremely important element that contributes to the success of any social media campaign. Think about it â€“ your customers (both potential and current) will see it on a daily basis. Theyâ€™ll form a perception of your company that will stay with them foreverâ€¦ This article helps you make the most of these brand perceptions with the following sections:
- 5 Design Tips for an Effective â€˜Social Mediaâ€™ Logo
- 7 Ways Your Logo Design Impacts Social Media Marketing
Letâ€™s dive right in!
5 Design Tips for a Social Media Logo
There are several aspects that go into a logo design â€“ colors, fonts, taglines, and more. But, when youâ€™re designing what we like to call a â€œsocial media-approvedâ€ logo, there are many other variables to consider as well:
- Be mindful of your aspect ratio â€“ A majority of social media sites will require you to convert your logo to a square (or nearly square)-shaped thumbnail. Your logo doesnâ€™t need to be a perfect square, but should have the capability of being easily converted to one. Itâ€™s best to make use of all the space you have so your logo wonâ€™t have to be compressed or reduced to fit into the small space.
- Be consistent â€“ With an effective social media strategy, your logo will be seen on a variety of sites â€“ Facebook, YouTube, and your personal site to name a few. For this reason, itâ€™s best to have one logo you use for every site. This is also helpful in case a site requires you to crop or resize your image â€“ you want a logo that looks the same, regardless of whatâ€™s done with it.
- Use detached text and graphics â€“ When designing, make sure your text and graphics are separate elements. This will help if it ever needs to be converted to a different size. In fact, some companies use a single graphic or single letter in social media for ease of use.
- Simplicity matters â€“ If you have an intricate logo, you run the risk of some of the elements not being recognizable when itâ€™s resized. For this reason, you should avoid long taglines, thin lines, and detailed graphical elements.
- Limit colors and shades â€“ A logo that uses 2-3 colors will work better on a â€œbusyâ€ social media sites because it stands out and wonâ€™t get lost in the backdrop.
7 Ways Your Logo Design Impacts Social Media Marketing
Whether you like it or not, social media gets many aspects of your business â€œout thereâ€ and visible to a wide audience. And your businessâ€™s logo has a strong impact on how your business is perceived in the market. It lets your customers know what youâ€™re selling and can even help them remain loyal customers for years.
Here are some of the top ways your logo impacts social media marketing:
- It can help increase followers, friends, and shares â€“ A professional and attractive-looking logo on a webpage or blog post is more likely to be shared with friends than one that doesnâ€™t look reliable or trustworthy.
- It increases perception of your business size â€“ Having an attractive logo and branding will make your business look professional and bigger than what it is â€“ even if youâ€™re a team of two or three that work in your pajamas.
- It shows professionalism and increases trust â€“ A well-designed logo shows that your company is professional and more importantly, can be trusted. Customers will get the sense that your company will be around for years to come.
- It communicates your story â€“ Your story can be communicated in many ways, from a meaningful picture to your font and color choice.
- It helps you stand out from competitors â€“ A logo thatâ€™s visually interesting and relates to your clients will help your business materials â€“ from your website to all print materials â€“ stand out from the competition.
- It drives brand recognition across platforms â€“ When a logo is used consistently over many platforms, customers will get several impressions of the logo, thus creating more memorability. Since many people are visual learners, theyâ€™ll remember your brand better when they see it, rather than hear or read about it.
- It helps make your customers happy â€“ An attractive and effective logo will appeal to your customers and make them happy to be associated with you. This includes everything from the logoâ€™s colors and fonts to its overall image. The bottom line is that you want customers to get a good â€œfeelingâ€ from you.
When creating a logo for your social media campaign, keep in mind that a good one wonâ€™t necessarily work in every social media platform, but these tips can help you create a logo that gives you an attractive online presence.