SourceTec Software

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:46 am

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:00 am 
Support Team
Support Team

User Wish List For Sothink Tree Menu!!

Thanks for using Sothink Tree Menu.

Please leave your suggestion or enhancement request here for Sothink Tree Menu's future versions!

Any of your idea or advice is valuable and will be considered.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:12 pm 

It is a great move of you guys to give us the opportunity for a wish list just before Christmas :D

Here I go:

1. Make one certain node selected as if it had been clicked
when navigation is initially loaded

Explanation: would be perfect for framesets where the menu is in an own frame and one of the linked content pages is open on load, i.e. home page / home node. It is not necessary to automatically check which page is open. Just setting an initially clicked node in Sothink TreeMenu is totally sufficient.

2. New status for Level 1 Node when submenu is open.

Explanation: When the child menu is open, the level 1 parent should change its look. This is with respect to the Background definitions of the parent node. It should not get the background it has in the normal or select mode. I guess it would be best defined in the "Sub Tree Settings". You could add the functionality there under General>Display.
The wording could be something like:

Display:
"Change the background image of the parent node to ____________ when the submenu is open and a child is selected"
"Change the background color of the parent node to ____________ when the submenu is open and a child is selected"

In this way, the parent keeps the original functionality of the icon an background when it is selected itself or another level one node and submenu is open. This is especially helpful when the option "General>Single Expand" is selected. Now all level 1 nodes have the same look even though only one of the nodes has its submenu open.

I hope you understand what I mean :oops:

3. Make whole area selected instead only the link area

I know it is hard to do because of compatibility reasons. I am not acquainted with Opera and I do not know what is supported by Firefox - maybe span? But if you use a layer for netscape browsers and a div for Internet Explorer you can make the onclick event on the element instead of on the anchor Tag. Make the width of the element equal to the width of the menu and the height equal to the icon height and I think this could be the souliton for two things posted in this forum: the other is that the dotted lines are not displayed around these elements when they are clicked.

I hope I could describe all my wishes understandibly and would definitely be ready to pay anothe 50 € for an update where these features are included.

Merry Christmas ! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:36 am 

Unless I missed it, there is no way to set the default font for the menus. The designer only lets you set it on a per node basis. Hacking the HTML snippet revealed that there IS some sort of default font size setting.

Post subject: My Wish
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 5:47 pm 

WISH 1. When setting the 'normal' and 'select' background image, I want to be able to set the height of the top node to utilize standard 32x32 pixel icons. Windows XP uses a 32x32 icon with a gradient background in the top node of each tree menu. Currently, the top node height is fixed at 26 pixels. I can modify the height using a cross-browser (IE7, FF1.5, Opera 9) CSS solution to apply whatever height background image I want, but my wish is that you create a new property in your product to do this for me.
Here is my CSS example to solve this problem for the first node in the tree, setting the height of the td that contains the blank.gif image:

#nodename0_0_1_ico
{
height:32px; /* height of standard Windows XP tree menu icons */
}

WISH 2. I want the entire node (not just the anchored text) to respond to the onclick event. I was able to apply a cross-browser (IE7, FF1.5, Opera 9) CSS solution to make my wish come true. It seems that you can modify your sttd and sta style classes to support this wish.
Here is my CSS example solution to apply to nodes and subnodes (assuming that a width value has been set in Global Settings):

#treeDesignGuide0_0_1_ttd
{
background:url(images/yourbackgroundimage.gif) top left no-repeat;
width:100%;
}

#nodename0_0_1_link
{
display:block;
position:relative;
top:3px; /* add this to correct the offset of the text in the top node of each menu */
}

WISH 3: I want to set the background image of the nodes, using one image when the subnodes are collapsed and a different image when the subnodes are expanded. Again, I used FireFox's DOM Inspector to hack a cross browser (IE7, FF1.5, Opera 9) javascript solution. The solution is assigning an onmouseup event on the td containing the anchor text to swap the background image of the td (assuming that you don't assign a 'normal' and 'select' background image in the Node Settings.
Here is my javascript solution, assuming that the string 'collapsed' or 'expanded' exists in the background image file name, showing the 'collapsed' background image when the subnodes are collapsed; other apply the 'expanded' background image.

Add the following code in the <head> section to affect the first node in the tree menu. I do make a call to getStyle to retrieve the url(background image file path/name) of the background image (code not shown):
<script type="text/javascript">
document.getElementById("nodename0_0_1_link").onmouseup = function()
{
var bgIMG = getStyle(document.getElementById("nodename0_0_1_ttd"), "background-image");
if (bgIMG.indexOf("collapsed") != -1)
{
document.getElementById("nodename0_0_1_ttd").style.backgroundImage = "url(images/myimage-expanded.gif)";
}
else
{
document.getElementById("nodename0_0_1_ttd").style.backgroundImage = "url(images/myimage-collapsed.gif)";
}
}
<style>

I will create a site with a working sample on request.
I like your product, but as a User Experience Manager, your product is just short of being an off the shelf solution, fulfill my wish list and it will be for most applications.
Thank you, and Happy New Year!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:53 am 

The addition of remembering the state in v2.0 was a very needed addition as it allowed the use of the TreeMenu without having to use frames.
Unfortunately not enough accompanying functionality was included with this feature.

I suggest the following:

One of the problems with the current version is that it remembers the active node when a user returns to my website. This is not logical, in how TreeMenu works now, because when the user returns they normally go to my home page but a sub-node in the menu, that is not the active page, is selected.
For realistic remembering of the state of the menu, not only should the active node be selected but it should be activated, taking the user to the last visited page.

Have the ability, via javascript in the webpage, to select the active node.
When the back button is used the user is returned to the previous page but the state of the menu does not change. Having the ability to activate a node via code in the webpage would resolve this problem.
This would also be beneficial if a user bookmarked a specific page on my website. If there was code in the webpage the menu would also open to the correct node. This would also deal with a user deleting their cookies (something I do on a regular basis).

There is another post in this forum that gives suggestions on fixing the requirement to “pad out” the node text with spaces in order to get the background image to display correctly. This is something that should also be fixed.

That’s my two cents worth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:29 am 
Poster

It would be great if we could add extra content to each node like the example below.

Post subject: Pick list
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:59 am 

I would love to be able to use it as a pick list.

You have the tree menu on left with box on right. When you click an item on left, it is added on the right, along with it's main group and subgroup just like the tree node.

My daughter has an application for her Zen (like ipod, but better) that allows her to pick music on the left and add to the list on the right to add to her Zen. This is a local application, but these sothink programmers are such wizards, I'm sure they could create this ability in the tree menu, if they haven't already and I just don't know about it.

Nannette Thacker
http://www.giftedchurch.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:11 pm 

I second SkiFreak's comments.

In addition to remembering the state, the treemenu needs to be able to identify the "Active" page and open/close and select accordingly.

If a user bookmarks my "Contact Us" page, but the last page they visit before leaving the site is the "About Us" page, I want the tree menu to show the "Contact Us" page as selected when the visitor revisits my site via their bookmark.

Post subject: Pick List Wish....
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:32 am 

Nevermind on the Pick list wish....

I have programmed the ability to use the tree list with a pick list selection box.

and wow! I even impressed myself for figuring it out. LOL

Nannette
http://www.GiftedChurch.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:29 pm 

Definitely the ability to use an image as a node, not just as a background. One of the reasons I really love DHTML Menu is that you could, if you really wanted to, have an entirely graphical menu. We ran into this issue with a current project where the client was very specific about the graphics on his site. I tried a hack with a background image and space bar for text, but that's not really an adequate solution and caused more pain in the end than it was worth.

I'll third the notion that it is very weird when a user returns to the page and has some random subnodes showing up (random to them since they may not remember what they clicked on their last visit to open them up).

Also - the option to have any node clicked close all other subnodes is vital. I hacked a solution to this, but hacking is really only cool in open source...

Some more style customization ability is really key to making me use this program more often. Indent should be available on every node, not as a global setting. Border too. And the ability to add a separator line. Stuff that we have come to know and love in DHTML should be duplicated here as far as styling goes.

I'd LOVE the ability to apply a class per node. I've got a site that is using small-caps font variant and I can't duplicate that in Tree Menu.

Post subject: I agree
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:45 pm 

I agree with all the above.
I would also like to see more styling options as the dhtml menu has.
Line seperators, mouse over graphics, arrow (along with icon) this would open up a whole new world with the tree menu.
Please don't get me wrong, this is a fantastic product, but seems limited to it's styling.
Appreciate all the hard work, and the development so far!
Take Care Teakey :D

Post subject: Node Styling
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:24 am 

:idea: I would like to see better Root and individual node styling. Currently we can only set the Padding and Spacing at the Root Level and these setting can't be side specific, (top, left, bottom, right). So when I would set my padding to 6 it sets this padding all the way around the nodes and pushes the text away from the left side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:12 am 
Poster

Animations! Use ajax for animating.

Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:01 pm 

A SharePoint Designer Plugin is needed (also for DHTML menu)!
BR, Curiosa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:23 pm 

chmichael wrote:
Animations! Use ajax for animating.

Thank you

ajax (which is just a marketing term) or whatever: make the effects work in any javascript-enabled editor. this is possible. just see eg the adobe spry framework.

cheers, drjee

Post subject: Re: Node Styling
PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:30 pm 

kwsim wrote:
:idea: I would like to see better Root and individual node styling. Currently we can only set the Padding and Spacing at the Root Level and these setting can't be side specific, (top, left, bottom, right). So when I would set my padding to 6 it sets this padding all the way around the nodes and pushes the text away from the left side.

YES YES YES!!!

This is making me nuts at the moment - my top nodes are flush to the left and there's no way to fix that without spacing the whole thing.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:06 pm 

To keep up with GoLive Leading-Tool "Menumachine" it is essential to integrate a "Line Seperator"-Function (No Border!).

Not till then extensive Sub-Menus are possible.

Post subject: Re: My Wish
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:12 am 

ljaeren wrote:
WISH 1. When setting the 'normal' and 'select' background image, I want to be able to set the height of the top node to utilize standard 32x32 pixel icons. Windows XP uses a 32x32 icon with a gradient background in the top node of each tree menu. Currently, the top node height is fixed at 26 pixels. I can modify the height using a cross-browser (IE7, FF1.5, Opera 9) CSS solution to apply whatever height background image I want, but my wish is that you create a new property in your product to do this for me.
Here is my CSS example to solve this problem for the first node in the tree, setting the height of the td that contains the blank.gif image:

#nodename0_0_1_ico
{
height:32px; /* height of standard Windows XP tree menu icons */
}

WISH 2. I want the entire node (not just the anchored text) to respond to the onclick event. I was able to apply a cross-browser (IE7, FF1.5, Opera 9) CSS solution to make my wish come true. It seems that you can modify your sttd and sta style classes to support this wish.
Here is my CSS example solution to apply to nodes and subnodes (assuming that a width value has been set in Global Settings):

#treeDesignGuide0_0_1_ttd
{
background:url(images/yourbackgroundimage.gif) top left no-repeat;
}

#nodename0_0_1_link
{
display:block;
position:relative;
top:3px; /* add this to correct the offset of the text in the top node of each menu */
}

WISH 3: I want to set the background image of the nodes, using one image when the subnodes are collapsed and a different image when the subnodes are expanded. Again, I used FireFox's DOM Inspector to hack a cross browser (IE7, FF1.5, Opera 9) javascript solution. The solution is assigning an onmouseup event on the td containing the anchor text to swap the background image of the td (assuming that you don't assign a 'normal' and 'select' background image in the Node Settings.
Here is my javascript solution, assuming that the string 'collapsed' or 'expanded' exists in the background image file name, showing the 'collapsed' background image when the subnodes are collapsed; other apply the 'expanded' background image.

Add the following code in the <head> section to affect the first node in the tree menu. I do make a call to getStyle to retrieve the url(background image file path/name) of the background image (code not shown):
<script type="text/javascript">
document.getElementById("nodename0_0_1_link").onmouseup = function()
{
var bgIMG = getStyle(document.getElementById("nodename0_0_1_ttd"), "background-image");
if (bgIMG.indexOf("collapsed") != -1)
{
document.getElementById("nodename0_0_1_ttd").style.backgroundImage = "url(images/myimage-expanded.gif)";
}
else
{
document.getElementById("nodename0_0_1_ttd").style.backgroundImage = "url(images/myimage-collapsed.gif)";
}
}
<style>

I will create a site with a working sample on request.
I like your product, but as a User Experience Manager, your product is just short of being an off the shelf solution, fulfill my wish list and it will be for most applications.
Thank you, and Happy New Year!!!

wow ow wonderful information thanks for shairing.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:46 am 

Yes, this is great information and why this board is so valuable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:21 pm 

I would like to see Tree Menu have the ability to edit and post using real time DHCP connections instead of having to edit in local mode and then uploading to the webserver.

"The Current Version does Not support FrontPage Server Extension Web."

Can you guys issue a patch to allow for this?

Thanks! :?: :wink: