SourceTec Software

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:06 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:12 pm 

Hi guys

I have inherited a web site client from a previous host who was hopeless or so I am informed and they have bought along there own web site for me to manage for them. I am not that brilliant when it comes to js systems so am looking for some advice on a problem that has arisen after the server move.

The actual site is http://www.f1hovercraft.com, and the owners used to have it listed under the domain http://www.f1hoverpod.com. In fact the old site is also on my server but is redirected to the newer domain. The problem is all the menus that are along the blue bar under the main log have vanished. The web pages behind them are there but no links on how to open them. They did work when I first uploaded the site but have now vanished on both sites. I am no genius but I do have a feeling that there may well be a problem with the site linking to the java script that operates the menus, but am probably wrong on that point. Another thought is that maybe the hidden software is domain specific to www.f1hoverpod.com, and me just uploading the sites files to the newer domain was not just an easy solution...????

Can anyone maybe take a look and offer me any advice and where the errors are situated please...

http://www.f1hovercraft.com

Thanks

Dalboy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:40 am 
Old Hand

Hi, hope I can help, but not sure why you have placed this in the webscroller forum.

Have you looked to see if the javascript is correctly referenced in the page source?

If the site has changed domains, that may be your problem as some people always use absolute urls for javascripts.

May I make a suggestion, as I am a web designer:

LOSE THE MUSIC!

99% of visitors will leave IMMEDIATELY when they hear music start to play. It is not possible for you to know how anyone's volume is set on their speakers, so sometimes the music will scare the hell out of your visitor. Others it will just irritate.

A second suggestion is to get a good website design program. They can be had for under $100 US and will make all the difference in the world with that poorly designed little tiny page / site. I would definitely suggest WebPlus from Serif.com. Lightyears ahead of whatever this designer used (appears to have been hand coded in notepad or some similar program).

Pixels are cheap, so why did the previous designer make the page so small? I don't know, but just the fact that you are trying leads me to believe you can do a better job. Make it big enough that someone with a modern computer can see the image without squinting.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:28 pm 

HI dijenga

Many thanks for your input, it is really appreciated. I will address your points as you have written them.

I have looked at the javascript and I do have access to the old domain and even that has the links missing. I think, and although I am not certain of this the script is trying to contact a source supply and its not available to it anymore. So even trying under the original domain is proving a no go as well...

I agree with the music, but the client wants it, although I have pointed out to them that it is a scary option, especially if people access the site at work where they are not supposed to and do have speakers on the desk... But they insist it has to stay.. !!!!

I have offered to completely overhaul the site as it is now 6 years old and really needs bringing into the 21st Century, but again they are happy with it and want it to remain as is... But that doesn't solve the problem at hand. I am thinking of just going ahead anyways and then showing it as I would have designed it without all these added extras that really are bringing the site down. As you are well aware I can add certain items by use of many other more adaptable software, so I think that's what I am going to do.

I will let you know when I have done the newer version... Again thanks for taking the time to offer some suggestions...

Dal

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:17 pm 
Old Hand

I attempted to view the javascript referenced in the html last evening, but it is no longer there . . . I get a 404 error.

If it was a menu there, most likely it was a DHTML menu and you can ask for help with the menu there.

What I would do (and I have done it before when in the same situation) is complete their site as requested, but before turning it over show them a site that PROPERLY showcases their products / services and ask them what they think about the site.

The music, however, will turn away the very persons they want to reach. This is a toy for the more sophisticated and discerning person . . . the exact ones who will leave the site if there is music.