All times are UTC + 8 hours

Post subject: FP Shared Borders
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 10:03 am 
Poster

Anyone try to and get this to work on Frontpage 2000 shared borders?<br><br>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 12:20 am 
Guru

Please follow these steps to use Sothink DHTMLMenu in FrontPage:<br><br>1. Open your local site in FrontPage;<br>2. Click "Tools --> Site setting" to open the web setting dialog. Switch to "Advanced" and check "Show all hidden files or folders" so as to ensure you can see the share-border folder.<br>3. Click "Format --> Shared Border" to open the shared border dialog. <br>4. Select "Apply to all pages" and choose one border style. After you create a border, you will see a "_borders" folder. As to explain clearly, I have created a top border and make it as an example in my later instruction.<br>4. Open this folder, there is a "top.htm". Open the top.htm in FrontPage. <br>5. Create or add the DHTMLMenu into this page and save it. You will see all the pages with shared border would have this same menu.<br><br>Sincerely,<br>Webmaster<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 7:26 am 
Poster

For some reason, the menu will not work in shared borders anymore. It used to, but now doesn't. When I try to use it or update it, it messes up the entire page. Any thoughts or suggestions?<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:11 pm 
Guru

Can you tell me what operations you have done?<br>And now how the share border does not work?<br><br>Sincerely,<br>Webmaster<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:04 pm 
Poster

I can run shared borders without the menu code. As soon as I place the menu code on the shared border page, the main page doubles up. I get two of everything, like two copies of the entire page, side by side. I remove the menu code, and the page becomes normal again.<br><br>This happens on all pages with the shared border enable on it.<br><br>

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 11:09 pm 
Guru

Please zip your site files including sharebroder folder and send it to support@sothink.com so we can check it.<br><br>Sincerely,<br>Webmaster<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:18 am 
Poster

Here is what I find. The script will work when inserted on a page. It will not work if inserted in a shared border. I tried another script, made with your editor, and it will work in the shared border. I can send you the script.<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:20 am 
Poster

I sent you the script via email.<br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 11:37 am 
Poster

OK, I figured it out. There were too many levels to the menu. It seems you are limited to 3 levels. You use 4 levels, and it messes up.<br><br>So I now am using an include page statement in Frontpage 2000, and limiting my menus to 3 levels deep.<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 10:22 pm 
Guru

No, This is not the menu's level problem. In fact, there is no limitation for menu's level.<br>Your problem is caused by that the FrontPage's sharedborder can not import the boder page completely. The FrontPage's sharedborder function only inserts the codes between <body>...</body> of border page into your web page.<br>But as you know the DHTML menu's code is consisted of two parts: Header and Body. (The header code is always the same for different menus.) <br>The sharedborder can not insert the header code so that caused your problem. <br>Please copy and paste the menu's header code into your page manually.<br><br>Sincerely,<br>Webmaster<br><br>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:43 am 
Poster

As I said in m email, I do insert the menus manually. FP does however move things around upon saving. I've experimented with this extensively, and the levels indeed play a part in the problem. Everything works fine until level 4 is added, then the page gets messed up. Bring the same menu back to 3 levels and the problem disappears.<br><br>I've also experienced this same problem using the incude file method, so levels are the culprit.<br><br><br><br>