SourceTec Software

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:49 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:33 pm 

Hi,
I just started using your DHTML Menu maker and it has been great help. I just created a menu with 5 main items. Each of these 5 items, have their own sub items.

The webpage I have built has 3 frames. Top, Sidebar and main. Top bar has the company logo. Sidebar has the Menu. Main bar is the target frame for links in the Menu (that resides in the sidebar frame). I have chosen the Sidebar frame width to be the same size my largest Main Item in my Menu.

I just tested this website, and the Sub-Items are being cut off. Is there anyway to edit the code or does your software has a feature where I can make the sub menu items show properly, instead of being cut off by Sidebar frame's width. I guess my question is, Is there any way to make the SUB ITEMS ignore the Sidebar frame's width and display them on top of the Main frame?

I don't know if I am explaining this properly.. If you want me to post pictures (I don't know if its allowed) of what I am talking about, let me know.

Thank You.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:40 pm 
Guru

I think it may be a problem with your frameset layout and/or your failure to use the cross-frame feature in DHTML Menu.

I think most developers have stopped using frames, and I haven't discussed frameset usage since Version 6 of DHTML Menu. I advise against using framesets; I can't think of any good reasons to use them and they're difficult to use correctly. Having said that, if you still want to try to use a frameset, go to http://pittwebs.com/sothink6/, select "Advanced Techniques" from the menu, and select the link that says, "Frameset: Creating A Cross-Frame Menu." Those instructions were written for Version 6 and may not be directly applicable to Version 9, but they should give you a general idea of how to create a cross-frame menu.

Regards,

Bill
Unofficial DHTML Menu Resource

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:38 am 

Bill,
You are right. I have not done any web development in the last 7 years, so I've been "out of the loop." Following your advise, I looked into why using frameset is bad. I realized how outdated and despised they are in the web development community!

I ended up replacing frameset format with CSS tables. I was able to solve the "Navigation frame menu" by using SSI (Server side includes) where I just simply call the menu inside the "Navigation cell" of the table.

I was really impressed with how extensive this DHTML Menu software is. Thanks to this software, I custom built the menu and it came out great!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:45 am 
Guru

Congratulations on your decision to stop using frames. I think the only frame that makes sense today is an iFrame (floating frame).

By the way, DHTML Menu will generate a JavaScript include file which makes it unnecessary to use SSI or PHP includes.

Regards,

Bill
Unofficial DHTML Menu Resource