SourceTec Software

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:18 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:45 am 

I just purchased JS Web Scroller and am trying to make it work for the first time. My issue is within the program's interface, though when I publish it does the same thing.

I'm creating a text-only vertical scroller. Its purpose is to display testimonials from my clients (formatted with HTML) about my business.

The length of each testimonial varies widely - from a couple of sentences to a couple of short paragraphs. One includes and ordered list (<ol>).

I set the scroller box for w=250px and h=450px, which I determined is large enough to display the longest testimonial.

What I'd prefer to accomplish is that one testimonial appears in full, then the next, etc. without shorter ones displaying part of the next one.

What is actually happening is that part of one is displayed at the bottom of the global box, then there's a pause, then it scrolls up and the rest of that one displays at the top of the box and part of the next one displays at the bottom, etc. In other words, it is breaking them at the wrong places. Sometimes nothing will scroll for a very long time and then the next one will come up.

Additionally, I'm using a sample of 7 items (I will have a set of 28 when it works right), and only the first 5 display, then it seems to try to show part of #6 and quickly jumps to #1 again.

I also note that the pagination is strange (I display pagination numbers) - what clicking a page number will do is inconsistent. Sometimes one brings up nothing and another one brings up part of a testimonial.

Alternatively, I'm also OK with continuous scrolling of each item, one after the other. If I do it that way, I don't want there to be big white spaces between them. I tried adjusting the padding, but that hasn't helped - there is still large white space after some of them.

I've played around with the HTML of each item - defining them in fixed-size DIV's, for instance, but I can't make it work.

What's going on? What else do I need to provide so you can help?

Thanks!

~N

[UPDATE: After submitting this, I changed all of the items to plain text rather than HTML. It is still behaving the same way - including only being willing to display the first 5. Then it skips back to the first one. Since #6 was a particularly long one, I removed it to see if that helped. No effect. Still only the first 5.]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:23 am 

**Respectful bump**

I could really use some assistance here, please.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:30 pm 
Old Hand

In order to help, I would need more than just a description . . . source files so that I can SEE what you are trying to accomplish would really help.

You can change the text, use placeholder text if you wish, but upload so whoever does help can have a better grasp on what you are trying to achieve.

But, just for fun, try this for your frames to make pagination "consistent":

<table width="250" height="450" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" style="font-size:11px; font-family:Verdana; margin:10px;">
Place all your text for one page here.
</table>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:10 pm 

Thanks for your reply. I've since abandoned that and created a horizontal scroller that does seem to work well.

I've also tinkered and become more familiar with the program. I have a feeling I could switch back over to vertical scroll and all would be good. I like what I have now. I think much of my confusion had to do with the way it handles entries of varying length. Some testimonies were a couple of lines, others were 20 lines. I needed to accommodate that.

Again, thanks.

~N

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:05 am 
Old Hand

When you use the table tag, it would convert each frame of your animation to the size of the table. Then, when it advanced, it would advance the size of your frame for your scroller.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:24 am 

Thanks again. I do remember putting these in a table that was the same size as the scroller (with zero padding). What happened, though, was if I had text that was longer than the height of the table, it messed it up. What would have been nice would have been for it to pause at the correct length and then display the rest of the text from that item in the next scroll. Instead, it threw off the length of everything else forward. The only thing I could do would be either:
(1) Change the height of the table to accommodate the longest item's text, or
(2) Break the longest item into two items, cutting it off at the right length.

Both of those require finagling with it, and they don't allow me to later add to my collection something that is even longer than the longest text item. With images it's easy to make everything the same dimensions. Not so with this type of text entry.

Of course, I have the same challenges with the horizontal scroll. I've accommodated them. But it prevents me from being able to use relative dimensions, which I prefer in my site.